Friday, September 21, 2012

Mini Raw Snickerdoodle Sandwich Cookies




Snickerdoodles were not something that was made in my family when I was growing up.  My Grandma always made plain sugar cookies, but never the cinnamon topped aromatic variety.  So my first experience with snickerdoodles was in high school!  I was at a ski chalet coffee shop with one of my best friends and she convinced me to buy one and split it with her.  It was heavenly!  The scent of cinnamon tickled my nose as I bit into the sweet, slightly chewy in the middle, but crunchy at the edges cookie.  I wondered why I had never enjoyed one before that moment.




I have since made some of my own versions, my favorite of which, I called spicedoodles, adding cardamom and nutmeg in addition to the cinnamon.


http://fragrantvanillacake.blogspot.com/2010/12/sugar-and-spice-and-everything-nice.html

They were even better than I the coffee shop ones.  But now that I have eliminated refined sugars and flours from my diet, and am eating mostly raw food, I haven't had one in ages!



I was craving the flavors of the snickerdoodle, something vanilla and cinnamon scented.  So, I decided to make some raw snickerdoodles!  But not to be boring, I thought they needed to have a creamy cinnamon laced filling too.  I am a sucker for sandwich cookies.  I also wanted them to be bite sized, something cute that I could savor in one mouthful, so I opted for mini.  Obviously I am obsessed with mini desserts too.  I think this comes from not having tea parties as a child.



They were wonderful.  I made the base from sweet coconut and almonds, and the creamy filling from young coconut meat, all cinnamon and vanilla scented of course!  I may have just enjoyed these more than regular snickerdoodles!




Mini Raw Snickerdoodle Sandwich Cookies

Makes 8

Cookies:

1 1/2 cups shredded dried coconut
2 cups almond meal*
1/4 cup raw agave nectar or honey
2 tsp pure vanilla extract or seeds of one vanilla bean
1 tsp cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
1/4 tsp sea salt

Cinnamon Cream:

3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours and drained
3/4 cup young coconut meat
1/2 cup coconut water
2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
seeds of one vanilla bean or 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
a pinch of sea salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid


To make cookies, place coconut and almond meal in the food processor and process until finely ground like flour.  Add agave nectar, vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt and process until it is well incorporated and starting to hold together.  Shape the dough into 16 balls, and flatten to form small cookies.  Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and place on dehydrator sheets.  Allow to dehydrate for 8-10 hours, or until dry but still a little soft in the middle.

To make cream, combine the cashews, coconut, coconut water, agave nectar, vanilla, and sea salt in a food processor and process until smooth.  With the motor running, add the coconut oil until well blended.     Place in the fridge to firm up to frosting consistency, about 2 hours.  Or if you place it in the freezer, 30 minutes.  
When the cream is chilled, place in a pastry bag and pipe frosting (about 1 Tbsp each) onto half the cookies on the bottom side.  Top each with the remaining cookies and enjoy! 

*grind soaked and dried almonds to a pulp if you do not have almond meal on hand. 

22 comments:

  1. Another amazing dessert done raw! I so want to try one, I know they are scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I wish I could send you one through the computer ;)!

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious. If you can not find young coconut for the meat (to put in filling) can you soak dried coconut to soften then blend in vitamix? Just wondered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I am not sure about the coconut, but I know you can substitute soaked cashews (drained) for the young coconut meat and it will still taste good! I have done that when I cannot get coconut meat.

      Delete
  3. Yummy Amy! I've never had a snickerdoodle!!! Can you believe it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :)! I suppose they are not as common in Canada as here ;)!

      Delete
  4. These cookies sound amazing! I Love all that coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! And approachable....I love that your raw recipes are something I can take on myself in the kitchen, without any major equipment/lengthy process involved.

    Just wanted to ask - how much cinnamon did you put in the filling? Was it just to taste? I'm a bit of a cinnamon monster, so don't want to overpower my taste-testers.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I make them that way, because I am relatively new to raw foods myself, and things can be intimidating ;). It is 1/2 a tsp, I corrected the ingredients above because I forgot to add the amount! Thank you for letting me know, the recipe is all fixed now! But of course, if you want to add a little more you are welcome to ;)!

      Delete
  6. Where do you get young coconut meat? Could I find it at trader joes, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly! They have it at Cub by my house, but the coconuts are not the freshest there. Asian Markets have it, Whole Foods has it, and many health food stores carry it. Just make sure the coconuts you buy are white and unbruised.

      Delete
  7. wowza.. another one to try.. this is definitely easy for me, rather than going all out on a cheesecake:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richa :)! I hope you do try it sometime!

      Delete
  8. Hi, all your desserts always look soooo good and pretty! I notice that a lot of them have coconut ingredients in them. Does the coconut taste come through a lot in your desserts, or is it unnoticeable? I just don't like the taste of coconut lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut gives the desserts the right consistency and lightness. You can't taste it in most of them, they just taste sweet because of the sweetness of the coconut. If you really don't want the coconut, you could substitute almond meal for the cookie portion in this recipe, and additional soaked cashews for the cream. But the cookies wouldn't be as light...

      Delete
  9. My local Whole Foods is always out of these delish cookies. I guess its time for me to start baking my own. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, happy to share it with you :)! Plus whole foods doesn't make sandwich cookies out of them...which are way better ;)!

      Delete
  10. I made these and they are HEAVEN. That Cinnamon Cream is to die for. I had a little extra cream left over and mixed it with fresh blueberries. Totally recommend! And for anyone looking for a young coconut, if you are in the US and have a Sprouts by you, they usually always carry young Thai coconuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome :)! I always have a little extra too, makes for a delicious treat for the dessert chef ;).

      Delete