Friday, September 28, 2012

Raw Caramel Apples with Hazelnuts



Caramel apples are something that every child should experience at some point.  I can remember, every fall, begging my Mom to buy me some at the store when they became available.  Sadly, half the time I would be a stinker and eat the caramel off and leave the apple. 


Unless of course the apple was really good.  I especially liked the tart ones, and now as an adult, I know honeycrisp apples make the perfect caramel apple.  I no longer eat gooey sugary caramel, but sometimes I still think about it.  Luckilly, I know how to make really good raw caramel from dates!


Last weekend when I had some beautiful Honeycrisp apples, I decided that I needed to make some raw caramel apples.  I normally just make the caramel and dip apple slices into it, but I wanted to be like my childhood self and bite chunks out of the caramel apple!  


The adult in me however wanted there to be crunchy nuts covering the outside.  So, I opened the fridge and instead of just going for the usual pecans, I decided to be different and go for the hazelnuts.  I have to say these were the most heavenly caramel apples I have ever eaten, and the best part was the raw caramel didn't leave me in a sugar coma!


Raw Caramel Apples with Hazelnuts  
Makes 2

Caramel:
10 medjool dates, pitted
1 Tbsp almond butter
2 Tbsp raw agave nectar or raw honey
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp unrefined coconut oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp filtered water

Apples:
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
2 large organic apples

To make caramel, combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth, then pour into a bowl.  Place the chopped hazelnuts on a plate.  Stick a wooden stick, or a fork, into the top of each apple.  Dip each apple into the caramel, bottom down, rotating so the caramel goes up the sides as well.  Dip into the hazelnuts to coat the bottom and sides.  Serve! 


18 comments:

  1. I love caramel apples too and these look great! Love the use of hazelnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This apple looks amazing!)
    That is just really cute))
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm I'm a sucker for caramel!!! Looks like the perfect snack Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Heather :)! I am sure you are well aware of how addictive raw date caramel is ;)!

      Delete
  4. Apples are so versatile...and i am seeing so much of apples that now i really need to make some apple dessert...these look so pretty...caramel is my second love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking for a raw caramel recipe recently. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem :)! Glad it was what you were looking for!

      Delete
  6. I remember in one of your posts..you mentioned that you always chose caramel to load on your desserts as a first choice. ME too! I always had to ask for caramel on anything. My fav was a sundae with all three toppings. Choc, strawberry & CARAMEL!! Thx for the recipe, I will definitely make this this year for the grandkids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Over chocolate anyday ;)! Hope your grand kids enjoy it :)!

      Delete
  7. You are brilliant - I think that I will be making this raw caramel as a dip for sliced apples (I get too frustrated with apples on a stick - my face gets so messy!!). I have just about a million dates in my cupboard (no, not the hot handsome ones, just the fruit - which may be better, anyways!). THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sunnie :)! Definately works as a dip as well and far less messy. Lol about the dates! I have the same sort ;)!

      Delete
  8. can't wait to make these!
    or even just the dip.
    and honeycrisps are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Hope you enjoy the caramel as much as I did :)!

      Delete
  9. It's the best caramel I've ever had in my life Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! So happy you made it and enjoyed it!

      Delete