Monday, September 17, 2012

Raw Fig and Raspberry Crumble Pie




Crunch, crunch, crunch...the leaves are talking to me as I run through the path in the woods.  If you were looking through a window at the scene before me, yellow leaves on the ground and falling from the trees, the green of summer departing, you would swear that it was autumn.  And yet, as I breathe in the 90 degree air, and sweat rolls down my face, I am reminded that it is not yet here.  It seems that the seasons are confused, or summer doesn't quite want to let go and hand off the seasonal baton to autumn.  I know it is not technically autumn according to the calender, but September is normally cooler.  Since it is still summer, it is alright to still make a late summer dessert or two, although apples and pumpkins will not be far behind. 



A raw crumble hazelnut topped pie with gooey fig and raspberry filling and cool creamy ice cream on the side.  This is perfect for a day late in the summer.  When raspberries are at the end of their season and figs are just perfect. 



I made the crust and topping from sweet coconut, hazelnuts and dates and it was simple and perfect with the gooey filling.     Upon sampling it, I discovered that it would be a delicious snack on its own but it had another plan to become pie crust so I figured I had better restrain myself.  



For the filling I used both fresh figs and dried, figuring the dried would make it more jammy and pie like without baking.  Fresh raspberries were involved as well as orange zest and juice for a heavenly combination.  



I like a creamy element to all of my fruit pies and desserts, so this time it was to be in the form of two heavenly ice creams, raspberry and fig almond. The pie loved them, and so did I.  As I sat enjoying every last crumb and drop of ice cream on my plate, I knew I would miss these elements of summer.



Raw Fig and Raspberry Crumble Pie with raspberry and fig almond ice creams

For the Pie:

makes one 6 inch pie

6 inch spring form pan or pie plate

Crust:

1 1/2 cups hazelnuts
2 1/2 cups dried coconut
1/2 tsp sea salt
12 medjool dates

Topping:

reserved 1/2 crust
1 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
Filling:
12 oz organic raspberries, divided
2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1 cup organic dried figs, soaked for at least an hour, and drained
juice and zest of one large orange
a pinch sea salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup fresh organic figs, quartered

To make the crust, combine the hazelnuts, coconut, dates, and sea salt in a food processor and process until well combined and holds together when squeezed. Press half of this mixture into a 6 inch spring form pan, half way up the edges and place in the fridge. To the remaining half of the mixture add the agave nectar, and chopped hazelnuts for the topping. Set aside in the fridge.

To make filling, combine 1/2 the raspberries, agave nectar, dried figs, orange juice and zest, sea salt and vanilla and process until smooth and well blended about 1 minute. Combine with the rest of the raspberries and figs and mix well. Pour over the pie crust. Top with the reserved crumble mixture, and place in the fridge to set for a few hours before serving.

Raw Raspberry Ice Cream
Makes 4 cups ice cream

1 cup raw cashews, (soaked for 2 hours at least, then drained)
1 cup young coconut meat
1/2 cup coconut water
1/4 cup agave nectar or honey depending on how sweet you like it
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified
seeds of one vanilla bean or 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 cup fresh organic raspberries

To make the ice cream, place all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Press the mixture through a fine meshed strainer to remove chunks if desired. Pour the strained base into an ice cream maker, and process according to directions. Pour into a freezer safe container and place in the freezer.
To serve, spoon the sauce over the ice cream and enjoy!


Raw Fig Almond Ice Cream:
http://fragrantvanillacake.blogspot.com/2012/09/raw-fig-almond-ice-cream.html

10 comments:

  1. the use of coconut water is just brilliant! Love the ice cream recipe and the pie looks just amazing! the crumble topping is calling out to me! heh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I am a sucker for crumble too ;)!

      Delete
  2. I love figs...I love raspberries...I love anything crumble...I this raw dessert...It is a beauty ! Will attempt this soon. TY :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :)! Thank you so much, I hope you do try it, I know you will love it too.

      Delete
  3. Perfection my friend. I adore figs - unfortunately can't get them fresh here but I eat them whenever I can get my hands on them while traveling. And TWO kinds of ice cream?! Mmmmm!!! I made blueberry peach crumble a few days ago. It must be in the air, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :)! Bummer you can't get figs there! I saw your crumble and it made my hungry looking at it ;)! Too bad we can't have a virtual dessert swap through the computer!

      Delete
  4. Hi love. Figs are some of my favorite things right now, and I'm just aching to get my hands on another basket! Thank you for sharing, my friend, and for making my day a bit more happy and delicious. I hope you are having a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Monet! They are definately something to be treasured in their short season. Thank you for visiting :)!

      Delete
  5. How do you come up with this stuff- all your Raw desserts are so incredible and creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I use the ingredients that I have on hand, or find ones that inspire me and make what I am craving. I think a lot about dessert haha ;)!

      Delete