Thursday, September 27, 2012

Raw Ginger Carrot Ice Cream




I love ice cream.  All year round.  In fact, even in the winter it is a weekly occurrence at my house ever since I bought my ice cream maker a few years back.  I love that the ice cream is like a blank palate for me to play with, creating new flavors.  Some wonderful, and some I won't be making again.  Thankfully, most are wonderful.  


I had leftover carrots and ginger from my carrot cake last week, and so I decided that a raw carrot ginger ice cream would be heavenly!  After all, nothing wrong with getting a serving of vegetables in with your creamy dreamy ice cream right?  


It was amazing, the sweetness of the carrots, a hint of vanilla and cinnamon, then after the rich goodness had melted on my tongue the heat of the ginger!  I love it when something cool combines with something that leaves a little heat on the tongue!  The coconut ice cream base was the perfect palate for it as well!  I am not embarrassed to admit, it was so good I licked my bowl clean.


Raw Ginger Carrot Ice Cream
Makes about 3 cups

1 large organic carrot, peeled and chopped
one thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours and drained
1 cup young coconut meat, chopped
1/2 cup young coconut water
1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
a large pinch of sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
seeds of one vanilla bean
1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid

In a food processor, combine the carrot, ginger, cashews, coconut, coconut water, agave nectar, sea salt, cinnamon, and vanilla, and process until smooth. With the processor running, pour in the coconut oil and process until well incorporated, about a minute. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to directions. Once processed, pour into a freezer safe container with a lid, and let harden until scoopable consistency, about 4 hours, or overnight.  

14 comments:

  1. This sounds great, anyway to do it without an ice cream maker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! You need to use one to get the best texture, but you could probably freeze the base in an ice cream tray then once frozen, throw in the blender and blend until soft.

      Delete
  2. what a great idea for your own base! I usually use almond milk but I will totally give this a try!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! It will be so much creamier than the almond milk ;)!

      Delete
  3. I have recently fallen in love with all things carrot (in the past, I could only do carrot cake). This ice cream looks delicious, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monet :)! I used to be the same way with carrots ;)!

      Delete
  4. Yummy, I love carrot ice/pumpkin cream too Amy! Fresh ginger is just the best in desserts this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :)! I completely agree!

      Delete
  5. Could this be made with coconut milk rather than fresh coconut meat and water? Would the ratios be the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could, but it won't be as rich and luscious. What you can do is substitute additional soaked cashews (1 cup) in place of the coconut meat and just add filtered water or coconut milk in place of the coconut water. I have done this and it works :)!

      Delete
  6. Man, I just juiced carrots and ginger...while drinking it I thought "this would be the best ice cream ever". At 8.5 months pregnant, I am glad to know that other people have had this brilliant idea and its not a weird pregnancy idea!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose some of my ice cream recipes would make pretty good combinations for pregnancy cravings, as I tend to favor interesting ingredients ;)! Glad you enjoy the combination as well :)!

      Delete