Friday, September 21, 2012

Raw Ginger Carrot Layer Cake


What to do with a bunch of carrots in my fridge?  I had bought a large amount for another recipe last week and they were begging to be used in something delicious.  Something dessert like sounded better than savory.  I decided to go with a classic this time, carrot cake!  


Not one that had to be baked however, raw carrot cake!  With lots of fresh ginger and plenty of spice, as that is what is sounding good to me as the cool autumn air is quickly creeping in.  I used coconut in the base, as well as pecans along with the carrots, because to me carrot cake has to have coconut and walnuts.  My Mother made the most amazing carrot cake when I was little and it always had both of those things!



I wanted the cake to have 3 layers instead of just one or two, because I love the look of a proper 3 layer cake, it is so much more elegant, even if it is just for me to enjoy.  The cake part was delicious, but I had to make a creamy luscious frosting to top it off!  A young coconut based creamy frosting did the trick, and I wasn't missing the classic cream cheese that normally tops off a carrot cake.  



I had to share some with my Mother, since she was the one who introduced me to delicious home made carrot cake, and she enjoyed it as well.  She even told me that it was hard to tell it was raw!  We both had seconds, and that tells me this one was a win.  Nothing like a carrot cake that you don't feel guilty going back for seconds on!




Raw Ginger Carrot Layer Cake
Makes one 4 inch 3 layer cake

Cake:
1 1/4 cups pecans
1 3/4 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2  inch chunk fresh ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
16 dates, pitted
2 cups grated organic carrots
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Frosting:
1 1/2 cups raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1 cup coconut water

1 1/2 cups fresh young coconut meat* (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
1/3 cup agave nectar or honey
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and seeds of a vanilla bean

1/2 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)

 To prepare the carrot cake, process pecans, coconut and sea salt in a food processor until the pecans are fine crumbs, then add the spices, syrup, vanilla and dates and process until well mixed.  Add the carrots and process until blended but not pureed (a few carrot flecks). Mix in the raisins and pecans.  Divide the mixture into 3 parts, and use a 4 inch pan lined with plastic wrap to mold the 3 parts into 3 cake layers.  Place on a dehydrator sheet and dehydrate for4-5 hours, then flip over and dry for 2 more (or until the outside is dried and the middle is still a little moist.  ( or place in the fridge to firm up if you don't have a dehydrator, this works just as well, the cake is just a bit softer).  Store in the fridge until ready to frost. 
To make frosting, drain cashews and blend all ingredients until smooth in a food processor, and set in the freezer about 30 minutes until a frosting consistency.
To frost cake, place one layer on a plate and top with about 2 Tbsp frosting.  Top with another cake layer then another 2 Tbsp frosting.  Then the remaining cake layer.  Spread frosting on the top and sides of the cake.  Place remaining frosting in a pastry bag and pipe decoratively around the bottom and on the top of the cake.  Place in the fridge to set for a few hours before serving. 

35 comments:

  1. Is the cake moist or does is have the consistency of regular cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little more moist as it is raw and not baked. But not so much that you are like "oh, it is raw!" My Mom actually thought it tasted the same as regular carrot cake!

      Delete
    2. I just made it yesterday, it was awesome! I gave it to a couple close friends and they raved about it! :)

      Delete
  2. You're amazing. Everything you make looks so incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I don't even like carrot cake and I would go to town on this!! xx Marisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! Wish I could send you a piece!

      Delete
  4. Carrot cake has always been a huge part of our family holiday and birthday traditions. Now we have to consider Celiac Disease when planning our menus. This recipe looks marvelous! I forsee one or two of these masterpieces in our very near future! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope you do decide to make it, it is so much kinder to your system than regular carrot cake! Thanks so much for visiting :)!

      Delete
  5. I love each of these recipes, i just wish we knew the CALORIE and nutritional values

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you :)! Unfortunately it would be tough to calculate the calories. As with any dessert moderation is key ;). I don't count calories.

      Delete
  6. As usual a work of raw delicious art! I can't believe that I get to save these delicious recipes and try them over the coming summer for free! Thank you SO much for your generosity and your amazing recipes. It's so much easier to eat healthy foods when there are so many wonderful bloggers out in the blogosphere with fantastic posts like this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words :)! It means a lot to me that you say so. Thank you for spending time at my blog :)!

      Delete
  7. My favorite part of this is the fresh ginger! Amy, you are truly, truly a genius! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany :)! The raw ginger really made it pop!

      Delete
  8. Wowsa! This looks wonderful and perfect of Autumn Amy! I havent made raw carrot cake in a few years. I need to start making Fall recipes!! I'm still delayed in posting recipes from summer, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :)! It is about time you made another one ;)! I hear you on the summer thing, I know I will miss summer fruit soon!

      Delete
  9. This looks so perfect. Carrot cake is my absolute favorite, and I would love to try this version. Thank you so much for sharing...what a delicious way to end my weekend. I hope you have a beautiful Monday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monet :)! It is one of my favorites as well, so comforting. Hope you have a fantabulous week too!

      Delete
  10. Oh em gee, I am drooling :P Def have to share this with one of my girlfriends who is trying the Paleo diet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks :)! This would be awesome for the paleo diet, or any diet for that matter ;)!

      Delete
  11. Oh, Amy. You have definitely hit a cake nerve and it's twitching uncontrollably! I adore carrot cake and ginger? I'm addicted to it. This looks and sounds like heaven with the dates and cardamom and more.... WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill :)! It was pretty heavenly ;)!

      Delete
  12. What kind of dehydrator do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definately an Excalibur. I have my parents from the 80s and it still works like a charm! They are very well built!

      Delete
  13. This looks delectable! Gonna' Pin It right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A real WINNER. In the dehydrator right now. I tasted both cake and layer of course I could not resist. REALLY DELICOUS!!!

    A miracle my first raw food recipe that i did not need to adjust to make it tasty!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Si Star!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)! I am so glad you are making it!

      Delete
    2. what setting do you use for your dehydrator?

      Delete
  15. This is awesome! I wanted a raw ginger carrot cake for our Happy Birthday, Jesus cake this Christmas! <3

    ReplyDelete