Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Raw Pumpkin Apple Streusel Coffee Cake



When I was in highschool, my Mom made the most delicious coffeecake.  It was a pumpkin apple streusel coffeecake that she had found a recipe for in the paper and decided to make it her own (maybe that is where my inability to follow a recipe exactly and make it to my liking comes from).  The original recipe had a pumpkin and apple base and a cinnamon sugar topping.  She decided to top hers off with a walnut streusel and swap out the white sugar for brown to create a caramel flavor.  She also added a crunchy middle layer, spiced with cinnamon.  It was amazing, especially warmed and served with ice cream!  Sadly,  I lost the recipe a while back so she hadn't made it in years.  



I decided this weekend it was time to recreate this cake. However my version would be rawified, contain no refined sugars and flours and not need baking.  



I was quite excited about creating this cake, and when I told my Mom what I was doing she was excited to taste it.  She has since stopped eating refined flours and sugars as well, so she was all for the raw version!  



I have to tell you a secret though.  I didn't use pumpkin in this, I used kobocha squash.  I find that the squash is much sweeter than pumpkin and since it was going to be raw it was important that the raw product tasted sweet (raw pumpkin requires a bit of dehydrating to taste palatable).  But shh...don't tell anyone.  I combined the squash with honeycrisp apple, walnuts, coconut and dates in the filling with plenty of spice to create a moist and delicious base.  It was so sweet it needed no liquid sweeteners!  



I popped it into my dehydrator and I have to say, it made my kitchen smell amazing!  While it was "baking" I made a raw caramel to put in between the layers (my own spin on this, and to hold the streusel in place).  



Once baked, I layered the cake with the caramel and some pecan streusel, and voila!  It was lovely!  My Mom's original cake was a rectangular cake as well, so it was important to me that this one was too!  I couldn't help but think this would be the perfect cake for a Thanksgiving spread!  



 I served it with raw vanilla bean ice cream, the way we used to serve the old version of the cake.  My loved the cake!  She told me that it was better than the original, and I would have to agree with her, because she is a wise woman!



Raw Pumpkin Apple Streusel Coffee Cake
Serves 4

Cake:
2 cups walnuts
1 3/4 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2  inch chunk fresh ginger 
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
12 medjool dates, pitted
2 cups cubed raw organic squash 
1 medium sweet tart organic apple, diced 

Streusel:
3/4 cup dried shredded unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup pecans
8 medjool dates, pitted 
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Caramel:
10 medjool dates, pitted
1 Tbsp almond butter
2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp water


To make the cake, combine coconut and pecans in the food processor and process until finely ground.  Add the sea salt, ginger, spices, vanilla, and dates and process until well blended and starting to hold together.  Remove from processor and transfer to a large bowl.  Place the apple and squash in the food processor and process until very finely chopped.  Add to bowl with pecan mixture and mix well with hands.  Place the mixture onto a teflex lined dehydrator sheet, and shape into a square, about 2 inches thick.  Dehydrate for 6 hours, then flip over and let dehydrate another 4.  Remove from the dehydrator and place in the fridge while you prepare the streusel and caramel.  
To make the streusel, combine 3/4 cup coconut and 3/4 cup pecans in the food processor and process until finely ground.  Add the dates and sea salt and process until starting to hold together.   Pour into a bowl, and mix in the remaining coconut and chopped pecans.  Set aside in the fridge.  
To make the caramel, combine all ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth.  
To assemble the cake, cut off the ragged edges so you have a nice square, then cut in half.  Spread half the caramel over one half, then sprinkle with half the streusel.  Top with the other half of the cake, spread with remaining caramel and sprinkle with the remaining streusel.  Serve!  


41 comments:

  1. Wow - I could never recreate like this. Such warming autumn flavors. This is indeed a quintessential Thanksgiving cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia :)! I have a feeling I might be making it again a few times this fall!

      Delete
  2. You are just simply genius. It is a gorgeous cake. I do have one question though, what brand of dehydrator would you recommend? I want to get one but there seem to be so many choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel :)! I use an Excaliber dehydrator. It is actually my parents from the 80s, but it is still working (which shows that they last forever, so defintately a good brand).

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    We've recently launched the site RecipesUS.com, where users can search through hundreds of thousands of recipes from American food sites and blogs. We noticed that you have a lot of delicious recipes on your blog and we would like to suggest you have a look at our site: http://www.recipesus.com/.

    If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on RecipesUS.com, all you have to do is follow these instructions: http://www.recipesus.com/add-your-food-blog.

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Kind regards,
    Marie
    RecipesUS.com, Hittarecept.se, Alldishes.co.uk, Todareceta.es, Touteslesrecettes.fr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definately have to check it out, thanks!

      Delete
  4. I really want to work with raw squash. I haven't yet. Thanks for the awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome :)! Thanks for checking out my recipe!

      Delete
  5. All of your stuff looks amazing but this looks ridiculously amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never cease to amaze my dear! Yum yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check it out! Thanks!

      Delete
  8. This looks incredible, Amy! What a wonderful recreation of a childhood memory. I never would have thought to use kabocha instead of pumpkin- that is such a great tip! I am just always so impressed with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kristy :)! Once you try the squash you will see what I mean ;)!

      Delete
  9. I just started following you, and I have to say, you're brilliant. Your recipes are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Josh! And thak you for following :)!

      Delete
  10. I recently learned how much sweeter squash are than traditional pumpkins. I made a pie from kushaw squash, and it needed so much less sweetener!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are totally sweeter! If people only knew, I have a feeling a lot more squash would be eaten ;)!

      Delete
  11. For the first time, I'm sad that I own a circle dehydrator rather than a square/rectangle one. This looks so so amazing... I can't get enough of your posts!!! I want to make and eat everything you post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Allison :)! I am sure it would work in a circle dehydrator as well, just shape the mixture into 2 circles! It will still taste the same ;)!

      Delete
  12. I'm a coffee cake fiend! Never thought of making one in the raw. this sounds like a crazy good recipe, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! Me as well, especially with streusel!

      Delete
  13. I have problems digesting raw squash, and I'm trying to think of a substitue with with a similar consistency... Maybe carrots?
    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrots would work beautifully! Especially because they are a little sweet like the squash.

      Delete
  14. I'm always impressed with your creativity. Delicious fall cake Amy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooohhh, baked in the dehydrator! I was wondering how you brought the whole thing together! The flavors sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki :)! It actually tasted wonderful before i put it in, but the dehydrator made it the perfect consistency ;)!

      Delete
  16. Wow! Quite simply amazing. And the Ice Cream looks so Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is awesome! So, no pumpkin, just squash? I will be making this! Thanks so much. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not technically ;). Although pumpkin is a squash. The kobocha or a butternut is far sweeter than the pumpkin and requires less sweeteners which I am all for. Plus raw pumpkin can be a little bitter unless you pre-dehydrate it (which is an extra step that I would rather skip). Happy to hear you are going to try it out! Thank you :)!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I also wanted to clarify that it is walnuts not pecans for the cake ingredients? You list walnuts but then in the instructions it says pecans.

      Delete
  18. Amy, do you have a good source for dates ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just buy them at the Health food store I work at, Fresh and Natural Foods. But most Co ops have them in the bulk section of the store and that is where they are the freshest.

      Delete
  19. This is fabulous! Will have to try it! Thank you! xF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I hope you do try it!

      Delete