Thursday, September 13, 2012

Raw Raspberry Bismarks



Every so often, when I was young enough to think doughnuts were the perfect food, my Mother would take me to a local bakery as a treat.   I would stand in front of the glass case, peering inside and taking in the scent of freshly baked doughnuts.  The smell of cake was in the air...vanilla, my favorite.  Butter cream frosting also was tempting me with its rich scent as I tried to decide which doughnut I wanted the girl working behind the counter to get for me.  I usually decided on a raspberry bismark, a delightful sweet raspberry filled vanilla doughnut with vanilla frosting.  My Mother may have had some influence on me, because she told me they were her favorite when she was little.  



It has been over 10 years since I have sunk my teeth into a raspberry bismark, but I can still remember how delicious they were.  Sweet, soft vanilla scented cake, gooey, jammy raspberries that oozed out when you bit into it and a rich, melt in your mouth butter cream on top!  



I decided that I needed to have a bismark last weekend.  No, I did not drive to a bakery.  I decided to create a raw version of a bismark, since my tastes have changed and I am not so into refined sugars and flours.  It was going to be delicious, I just knew it.  I used a my vanilla cake base of coconut and almonds.  It is always so melt in my mouth delicate, I knew it would be perfect for the bismarks!  I filled them with fresh raspberries, and topped them off with some silky coconut vanilla bean frosting.  



They were more beautiful than the bismarks I had enjoyed as a kid, but would they meet my standards of approval?  Yes!  They were amazing...the cake was so delicate and buttery tasting, they smelled of heavenly vanilla and the sweet tart raspberry filling still oozed out.  Let's not forget the smooth, creamy frosting, which was the perfect thing to top them, and so good that I licked my fingers clean of it after the bismark was gone.  I think if I were to eat a regular old bismark now, I would be rather disappointed as these were so heavenly.


Raw Raspberry Bismarks
Makes 4

For the doughnut dough:
1 1/2 cups almond meal*
1 1/4 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Filling:
1/4 cup fresh organic raspberries
1 tsp agave nectar or honey

Frosting:
3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours and drained
3/4 cup young coconut meat
1/2 cup coconut water
2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
seeds of one vanilla bean or 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
a pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid

To make doughnuts, combine the almonds, coconut and sea salt in a food processor and process until finely ground. Add the agave nectar, vanilla and process until holding together. Divide dough into 4 pieces.  
Mash together the raspberries and agave nectar until the consistency of jam, for the filling.  
Take a piece of the dough, and roll 2/3 of it into a ball.  indent the middle with your finger and press it down slightly.  Spoon about 1 Tbsp (but do not overfill) of the raspberry mixture into the hole.  Take the remaining 1/3 of the dough and flatten it into a circle large enough to cover the raspberry filling.  Place over the filling and smooth the sides down carefully as these are delicate.  Repeat with remaining 3 dough balls and filling and place in the fridge while you prepare the frosting.  
To make the frosting, combine the cashews, coconut, coconut water, agave nectar, vanilla, and sea salt in a food processor and process until smooth.  With the motor running, add the coconut oil until well blended.  
Pour into a bowl, and refrigerate until the consistency of frosting, about 2 hours (if you put it in the freezer, it will be quicker, like 45 minutes).  
Place the frosting in a pastry bag with a large decorative tip, and pipe all over the tops of the bismarks.  Serve!

*For the almond meal, soak raw almonds for a couple hours, then peel off the skins and dehydrate until dried.  Grind to a meal in the food processor.  

26 comments:

  1. These look *INCREDIBLE*!!!! I am so adding to this ever-growing list of things to try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison :)! I hope you do try them!

      Delete
  2. Amy, I've never heard of these before; they look wonderful. Love how you adapted yours to make them gluten free. Isn't it funny about the wafts of baking smells as a child? I remember a baker's van coming around to my granny's and it was also doughnuts. SO unhealthy but we loved them! Thanks for introducing me to your raspberry bismarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill :)! It is an American thing ;). A baker's van sounds way better than an ice cream truck. What a wonderful memory from your childhood!

      Delete
  3. These bismarks look so pretty and so delicious. This is one raw recipe I can make so easily....I love it:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bibi :)! They are pretty simple to make!

      Delete
  4. Never seen such pretty bismarks and I LOVE how easy they are to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm mouth is watering! I love the chewy, jelly, and silky topping Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :)! I will give you one in exchange for one of your delicious veggie burgers ;)!

      Delete
    2. It's a deal! ;) Wish we could send through the computer!

      Delete
  6. These look amazing! And you did such a good job with the piping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. should the almonds be raw and soaked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used raw, soaked, then dried. If you have raw almond meal, you can use that as well in place of the almonds.

      Delete
  8. Amy you've outdone yourself! What an enticing raw dessert! The raspberry filling is just radiant tucked into the vanilla cake, a stunning recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so good! Maybe it could be a thumbprint if you leave off the cashew cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could make a thumb print out of them if you didn't want to mess with the filling. But you may want to make them a little smaller ;).

      Delete
  10. You are SO talented these are amazing and so simple to make- I absolutely need to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! I hope you do try them!

      Delete
  11. Hmmmm... These did not turn out how I expected them to. I followed the directions exactly, but the mixture was a dark tan color and quite...coarse. Did you use blanched almonds by chance? Also, I put them in the fridge while preparing the frosting and they got really hard... I frosted them and served them, but they were rock solid... not chewy/oozy at all. The taste wasn't bad, but tasted just like a standard raw pie crust with some raspberry filling. Any ideas on what I did wrong? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used almonds that had been soaked, then the skins peeled off and dried again. Ground up they are like almond meal. If you didn't take off the skins that could be why they were darker. Also, they do get hard in the fridge, but if you let them sit out for about 15 minutes they are the perfect consistency. They shouldn't taste like pie crust though, mine were sweet...maybe it was the bitter almond skins? Hope that helps :)!

      Delete
  12. Oh okay, that makes sense. Maybe you could include those tips in the recipe for the others who try the recipe in the future? I think it would help them a lot. I'll try some of your other recipes again sometime, thanks for the answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just fixed it. I am still experimenting myself, as raw food is fairly new to me. I just started eating this way 2 months ago. Happy to help!

      Delete