Friday, October 19, 2012

Raw Apple Spice Granola

 
 
Biting into a honeycrisp apple is like ingesting a little piece of heaven.  Seriously, they are the perfect balance of sweet and tart with the just right amount of crunch.  If you are from Minnesota, you know what I am talking about, especially the locally grown ones.  If not, I hope you have had a chance to try one.  Since they are so good, I couldn't help but think they would make fabulous apple chips.  So a few weeks ago, I made some using the honeycrisps, and they were the best apple chips I have ever tasted!  



They were perfect for snacking on, but I knew they would make for a delicious additon to some raw granola!  So, I added it to a batch of granola I was making along with the spices I consider essential to my apple pie and my favorite nuts, and it was fabulous!

 
The honeycrisp apples were like little bursts of sweetness in the crunchy granola.  I have to admit I have been eating this a couple times a day this week because I enjoy it so much!  What can I say, it makes the perfect breakfast (instead of cereal) and bedtime snack!  Beginning and ending my day with it certainly puts me in a good mood.
 

 
 
Raw Apple Spice Granola

Makes about 8 cups

2 cups raw buckwheat
1 1/2 cups dried large coconut flakes
1 cup pecans, soaked for 6 hours and drained
1 cup raw walnuts, soaked for 6 hours and drained
1/4 cup raw agave nectar or honey
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp maple extract
1 Tbsp filtered water
2 Tbsp raw coconut oil, liquified
1 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
2 cups dried apple

Soak buckwheat for 12 hours, rinse very well (as it has a slimy coating that needs to be removed) and drain. Place in a large jar and set in a well lit area (natural light, but not in direct sunlight). Let sit for a couple days, or until little sprouts begin to emerge from the buckwheat, rinsing 2 times a day. Once sprouted, drain well, and place in a large bowl, along with the coconut, pecans, and wanuts. In a small bowl, whisk together the agave nectar (or honey), cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, sea salt, vanilla, maple, water, and coconut oil. Pour the mixture over the granola, and mix well with your hands. Spread out on 2 dehydrator sheets lined with teflex, and dry for about 12 hours or until crispy. Pour into a bowl, and mix in cranberries and apples, enjoy! Can be stored in an airtight container for a few weeks at room temperature. 

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I LOVE Honeycrisps! I've been buying them as a treat every now and then (I usually get Gala or Pink Lady, but Honeycrisps' flavor beats them by far), but in my area they're so expensive! They're about 2 times the price of other apples. So sad...

    Anyways, I wish that I lived in Minnesota so I could enjoy them locally! At any rate, your granola looks AMAZING. Keep up the creativity! Good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sunnie :)! They are expensive here too when they go out of season...so I am enjoying as much as I can ;)!

      Delete
  2. Only you can make granola look this glorious! I love the little flakes of apple in here. So tempting. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Monet :)! Let me tell you, it is pretty tempting when you know it is in the kitchen and hard to stay away from ;)!

      Delete