Sunday, October 28, 2012

Raw Coco Mac Caramel Dark Chocolate Candy




I just don't get as excited about buying bags of halloween candy as most people do.  Maybe it is because most of the commercially made is far too sweet for me, and full of artificial things.  Or the fact that I can't justify sitting and eating it because I don't get any trick or treaters at my house.  Normally, I would just forget the whole candy thing all together...crazy I know because I am sure a lot of you look forward to the candy. 

 
For some reason this year though, I decided that I wanted to make some of my own candy. This is very uncharacteristic of me because I would rather have a big piece of pie or cake than candy. But I wanted to create my own candy, something that was not buyable. 

 
I thought about going the recreating snickers or twix route, but I wanted to be a bit more creative.  So, I came up with Raw Coco Mac Caramel Dark Chocolate Candy.  I have to admit, I was influenced a little by my Mother who insisted I make something with coconut.  No problem as I love the stuff. 
Then I thought why not make a sort of almond joy, but with macadamia nuts.  This was not the stopping point however because I then decided to add caramel, one of my favorite things in the world. 

They turned out so increadibly good too.  The type of candy where you eat one and go for another...which is not how I feel about the normal Halloween candy.  These would actually make a nice gift too around the holidays, I would love a tin of them.  These were worth the extra effort!
 
 
Raw Coco Mac Caramel Dark Chocolate Candy
makes 16
 
2 cups finely shredded dried coconut
1/4 cup coconut butter
2 Tbsp raw agave nectar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
 
Caramel:


10 medjool dates, pitted
 1 Tbsp raw almond butter
2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 Tbsp water

 
16 raw macadamia nuts
 
1/2 cup raw coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
1/4 cup raw agave nectar or honey
pinch of salt
 
To make the coconut layer, combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until combined.  Press out onto a plastic lined sheet pan, 1/2 inch thick.  Cut into 16 squares, and place in the freezer to firm up.  To make the caramel, combine all ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth.  Press the mixture through a fine meshed strainer to remove any date bits.  Place the caramel in a bag, cut the corner off, and pipe onto each coconut square in about 2 tspful amounts.  Top each caramel mound with a macadamia nut.  Place in the freezer until hard. 
To make chocolate, combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Let sit a few minutes until it thickens to the consistency of melted chocolate. Line a sheet pan with foil.  Dip candies into the chocolate, using a fork and set on the foil to dry.  Once they are all dipped, place in the freezer to set.  Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. Ooooh I cannot wait to make these! I really appreciate your sharing your uncooking talents with us foodies! I have made raw peppermint patties this way but the caramel and nut addition.... oh boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie :)! I am happy to share with you all! I need try making raw peppermint patties around the holidays!

      Delete
  2. Oh my! These looks AMAZING! I have all the ingredients, so I will be making these very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! You totally should!

      Delete
  3. OH MY WORD! I will be making these, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, I know you will love them :)!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Amy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. These look yummy! I'll be making them for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I love to share :)! They would be perfect for Christmas!

      Delete
  5. Freaking awesome Amy! We need to do a treat swap!!!

    ReplyDelete