Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Raw Pistachio Baklava with Pistachio Ice Cream


I made raw baklava a couple weeks back, and loved it so much that I decided I needed to make it again.  But me not being one to make the exact same thing twice in a row decided to switch it up a bit.  I had a large bag of pistachios, and I thought they would be lovely in the baklava! 


So much more pretty than brown walnuts, which don't get me wrong are delicious, just not as gorgeous as pistachios. To me, pistachios are a bit special.  I remember one time when I needed some for a recipe and I loaded up a large bag of them only to get home, look at my reciept and realize I had just spent over $40 on them.  I have since bought and used them as if they are something precious. 


This baklava I was imagining would be something special though, lovely green pistachios, red dried cranberries, and golden sweet honey between wafer thin sweet sheets of "filo dough".  I knew it would be heavenly.  I even decided to make pistachio ice cream to go along side it because I felt that all the crunch needed a creamy accompaniment.


Once all created and assembled, it was a sight to behold, almost too pretty to eat, but who am I kidding...I dove right in and devoured like nobody's buisness!
 

Raw Pistachio Baklava with Pistachio Ice Cream
Serves 2

"Filo" sheets:
1 large organic apple
1/2 cup almond meal
a pinch of sea salt
1 tsp raw agave nectar or honey
1/4 tsp ground cardamom

Filling:
1 cup shelled pistachios
6 medjool dates, pitted
2 Tbsp dried cranberries
1 cup large flake coconut
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
2 Tbsp raw agave nectar or honey plus additional for serving

For the "filo sheets", combine the apple, almond meal, sea salt, agave nectar, and cardamom in a food processor and process until smooth. Spread out thinly onto a teflex lined dehydrator sheet in a large square. Dry for a few hours, or until not tacky anymore, then score into 9 squares. Place back in the dehydrator for about another 6-8 hours or until very crispy. Remove squares (you will have one extra to snack on).
For the filling, combine pistachios, dates, crasins, coconut, and cinnamon and cardamom in a food processor and pulse until well combined but not pureed. You want to have chunks still. Add 2 Tbsp agave nectar and pulse a few more times. Remove from the food processor.
To assemble, set out 2 plates. Drizzle each with a bit of the agave nectar or honey. Place one filo square on each, and top with 1/3 of the pistachio mixture (deviding evenly between the two). Top each with another square, then half the remaining filling (deviding evenly between the two). Then another square, then the rest of the filling then another square. Drizzle each baklava with a bit more agave nectar or honey, and scoop some pistachio ice cream beside each (recipe follows). Enjoy!

Raw Pistachio Ice Cream:

1/2 cup coconut water
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked 4 hours and drained
1/2 cup  pistachios, soaked 4 hours and drained
1 cup young coconut meat, chopped
1/4 cup raw agave nectar or raw honey
seeds of one vanilla bean
a pinch of sea salt
1 large handful spinach
1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid

1 cup chopped pistachios

 Add coconut water to a food processor, along with cashews, 1/2 cup cashews, coconut meat, agave nectar, vanilla, sea salt and spinach. Process until smooth, then with the processor running, add the coconut oil slowly and process until well incorporated, about a minute. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to directions. Remove from ice cream maker, stir in 1 cup chopped pistachios and pour into a freezer safe container. Let chill in the freezer for a few hours until a little more firm before scooping.

12 comments:

  1. Yummy!! I love pistachios too but rarely get them because it;s so hard to find raw ones and, of course the price like you said.... so when can I come over for a piece of baklava Amy?! ;) I was gifted a jar of raw pistachio butter once and oooh it was goood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :)! That pistachio butter sounds divine! Wish I could send you some of this through the computer ;)!

      Delete
  2. Just gorgeous. I adore pistachios, so seeing this post makes me long for a big bowl of those precious greens. Thank you for sharing. Simply stunning, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Monet :)! Those pistachio brownies with the shortbread that you recently made looked pretty delicious too!

      Delete
  3. Oh my! I'm on a Juice Fast right now, but this will be the first dessert I will prepare after my build-up days! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Hope your fast is going well :)!

      Delete
  4. With summer just around the corner here in Tasmania this amazing creation is not just for the hot days...I might make this for the Christmas table! Amazing and fantastic and so many superlatives that my brain just failed me Thank you SOOO much for your amazing recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting :)! This would be perfect for Christmas with the red and green!

      Delete
  5. Brilliant! Regular baklava is so sweet and phyllo dough is so flaky---but this sounds perfect, 'specially with the pistachio ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoy the recipe :)!

      Delete