Sunday, October 21, 2012

Raw Pumpkin Caramel Rolls



When people tell me they hate vegetables I don't believe them, and I work hard to change their opinion.  I had a guy walk up to the deli counter at work last week, and tell me that he wanted anything but vegetarian food.  I guess he had a bad experience maybe, or just thought that vegetables were bland.  At any rate, I told him that I was a vegetarian and that we happened to have lots of good vegetarian food.  He ended up walking away with 2 vegan and one vegetarian salad...it was nice to know I could have some sort of a good influence on someone. 

 
Speaking of people not liking veggies, I like to hide vegetables in things like delicious desserts and make them so good that even the veggie haters would eat it.  Of course I like to use the more unusual like beets and parsnips, but pumpkin finds its way into my desserts often this time of year.  Afterall, who doesn't like pumpkin desserts?  So this weekend I made some raw pumpkin caramel rolls.  I have a feeling even a veggie lover would gobble them down in no time.

 
I have to admit, raw caramel rolls intimidated me a bit, but that doesn't stop me lately.  I figured at worst I would have something ugly that tasted good.  What intimidated me the most was the fact that I had to roll them up, but parchment helped with that.  Also, I wanted to use some sprouted, dehydrated buckwheat in place of some of the nuts.  It worked wonderfully though!  The rolls turned out beautiful, and the only bad part was they were too good and I ate too many.  That is a problem I can live with though. 

 
Raw Pumpkin Caramel Rolls
Makes 12

Cake:
1 cups sprouted buckwheat groats, dehydrated until dry
1 cup walnuts, soaked and dehydrated until dry
1 3/4 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 inch chunk fresh ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
18 medjool dates, pitted
2 cups cubed raw organic squash

Filling:
16 dates
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup filtered water
1 Tbsp coconut butter
a pinch sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Caramel:
10 medjool dates, pitted
1 Tbsp almond butter
2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup filtered water


36 raw pecan halves

To make the dough, combine coconut and pecans in the food processor and process until finely ground. Add the sea salt, ginger, spices, vanilla, and dates and process until well blended and starting to hold together.  Place the  squash in the food processor and process with other ingredients  until it is all pretty smooth.  Place the mixture on a piece of parchment paper, and spread out into a large rectangle, 1/2 inch thick.  Set aside while you make filling. 
To make the filling, combine all ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth.  Remove from the food processor and spread out over the dough, leaving 1 inch at the bottom. Using the parchment to help, roll up, jell roll style from the top down. Cut into 12 rounds.  Place rounds, cut side up onto a teflex lined dehydrator sheet, and dehydrate for 6 hours or until dried, but not hard. Remove from the dehydrator. 
To make the caramel, combine all ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth, add a little more water if mixture is too thick (by the Tbspful). Press the caramel mixture through a fine meshed sieve to get rid of any date pieces for a smoother caramel (or skip this step if you don't care). 
Drizzle the caramel each over the rolls, and top each roll with 3 pecans.  Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. OMG these are so friggin cute Amy!! I love anything with buckwheat - I always keep a jar of sprouted/dehydrated on hand. Of course anything with caramel just makes life better ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather :)! I have been loving it lately as well! Cheaper than using all nuts in a recipe like this and a little lighter. Totally agree on the caramel ;)!

      Delete
  2. these are lovely! you are getting more and more innovative with your raw desserts and i am loving them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Caitlin :)! I like to think I am getting more skilled so I can create the things I want to eat ;)!

      Delete
  3. Delicious. Going to make them this weekend. THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! Let me know how you like them if you wish :)!

      Delete
  4. They look so yummy. I bet I wouldn't even be able to tell they were raw if you didn't tell me---delicious is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I agree, delicious is delicious, raw or not ;)!

      Delete
  5. the rolls look delicious - so pretty! the caramel drizzle sounds amazing - love the hint of coconut oil in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! The coconut oil adds a nice richness.

      Delete
  6. These look delicious and I love that they are raw! I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alaine :)! I hope you do try them!

      Delete
  7. Hi, Amy! These look yummy! These are going on my list of goodies to try. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susanne! I definately hope you do try them! i love sharing recipes with you :)!

      Delete