Sunday, October 14, 2012

Raw Southwest Quinoa Sushi


I used to love sushi when I was a pescatarian, in fact I ate it quite often.  But once I stopped eating fish, I didn't seem to crave it as much.  Although I ordered vegan sushi once in a while, it never seemed to have much flavor, or the same deliciousness that I had previously thought the fish sushi had.  It needed something...like maybe more flavorful veggies than just cucumber?  I always found myself loading it up with the extra wasabi on my plate for pow, because I like the kick.


So, I am not sure what possessed me last week to create sushi at home, but I decided to.  I figured I could tailor it to my tastes.  Oh yes, it was non-traditional, but that is just how I roll...sushi roll that is.  I decided to replace the rice with sprouted quinoa, as I am not a big rice person anyways.  I mixed black and white quinoa to make it pretty. 


I thought about making Asian flavored sushi, but instead decided on a southwest sushi because I have been craving those flavors lately and I had all the ingredients.  I combined green and yellow summer squash, red bell pepper, avocado, and green onions in the filling then laced it with some hot sauce for a kick in place of the traditional wasabi. It was pretty, but more importantly, it was the best veggie sushi I have had!  I enjoyed the twist on a classic, and I think I may just have to make more sushi soon!


Raw Southwest Quinoa Sushi
Serves 2-3

1 cup quinoa (I used mixed, black and white)
1 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp sea salt (or to taste)

1 medium zucchini, cut into matchsticks
1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into match sticks
1 large bell pepper, cut julienne
2 medium avocado, cut into strips
a few green onions, sliced
raw hot sauce (optional)

6 nori sheets

To sprout the quinoa, rinse well, then soak it in cool water for 6-8 hours, then drain and rinse again.  Place in a jar, with a breathable lid, and let sit for 1-2 days, rinsing and draining well twice a day to prevent mold.  Your quinoa should be sprouted in 2 days.  Once sprouted, place in a covered bowl in the fridge until ready to use.  If you do not wish to sprout the quinoa, you are also welcome to cook it the traditional way. 
Mix the rice wine vinegar, honey, and sea salt into the quinoa until well blended.  To assemble, lay out a sheet of nori, and spread about a 2 inch strip of quinoa near the top of it.  Place a line of a few zucchini strips, yellow summer squash strips, red bell pepper strips and avocado strips in the center, and sprinkle with some green onions.  Place a little bit of hot sauce along the veggies if desired.  Roll up tightly from the top down. Moisten the edge at the bottom to get it to hold together.  Repeat with the other 6 nori sheets.  Slice each roll into 6 rounds, place on plates and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. yum! I'm so impressed you made your own sushi, mine fall apart so easily haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my first time making it, rolled a couple before the perfect photo ready rolls ;)!

      Delete