Friday, October 5, 2012

Raw Spiced Pear Caramel Cake


As I was strolling the produce section, some perfectly ripe pears caught my eye and I suddenly had the urge to eat pears.  I honestly hadn't had one since last year and to me that is far too long for something so delicious.  I will not buy them unless they are in season and perfectly ripe.  These were local and they were begging to be bought!  


I bought a large bag, and I knew to make something wonderful with them!  I couldn't decide, but then the next day when I was out for my long run, I was dreaming of pears...so many possibilities!  I kept thinking about crumble, because I love the spices that can be put into it, but it was a little too simple for the type of mood I was in at the time.  Pear spice cake!  It was perfect!  Pears, delicious, warming Autumn spices, and some sort of filling.  I thought about a creamy frosting and filling, but then caramel got into my head so that is what I decided on.  



This was going to be a raw pear cake, and I wanted an almond base along with the fresh pears because I love the two together.  I added a bit of coconut and dates for sweetness (you couldn't taste the coconut, it just made the cake lighter and sweeter), and fresh ginger as well as cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom because those four spices are my favorite in a cake!



It smelled so wonderful while it was in the dehydrator, filling my kitchen with a heavenly aroma!  Good thing I could sample the date caramel I made while I waited for the cake to "bake".  I wanted there to be plenty of caramel, oozing out the sides of the cake, as well as fresh pears on the top and in the center.  It is not like me to make a one layer cake, I need some sort of delicious filling! 



Once finished and I was enjoying a slice, I couldn't help but think I certainly did the pears justice using them in this lovely cake!  Also, the pear caramel combination was delicious, I think I need to make some caramel pears in addition to my caramel apples next time!




Raw Spiced Pear Caramel Cake
Makes one 4 inch 3 layer cake

Cake:
1 1/4 cups almonds
1 3/4 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 inch chunk fresh ginger
1 Tbsp raw agave nectar or honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
20 dates, pitted
2 cups grated organic pears


Caramel:
15  medjool dates, pitted
1 1/2 Tbsp raw coconut butter or almond butter
3 Tbsp raw agave nectar or raw honey
1/4 tsp sea salt 
1 1/2 Tbsp unrefined coconut oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 Tbsp filtered water

2 medium ripe organic pears, thinly sliced 



To prepare the cake, process almonds, coconut and sea salt in a food processor until they are fine crumbs, then add the spices, agave, vanilla and dates and process until well mixed. Add the pears and pulse until blended but not pureed (you may need to take out and partially mix by hand). Spread the cake out on a dehydrator sheet in a square, one inch high, and dehydrate for 4-5 hours, then flip over and dry for 2 more (or until the outside is dried and the middle is still a little moist. ( or place in the fridge to firm up if you don't have a dehydrator, this works just as well, the cake is just a bit softer). Store in the fridge until ready to frost.
To prepare caramel, combine all ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth.  Press the caramel through a fine meshed strainer to get rid of any chunks that may remain (you may skip this step, but the caramel won't be as smooth).  
To assemble the cake, Cut the cake in half so you have two rectangles.  Spread half the caramel over one rectangle and top with half the pear slices.  Top with the other half of the cake and spread the remaining caramel over.  Top with the remaining pears and serve!

16 comments:

  1. I love caramel and pears! I have an entremet I created for my mum because we love it so much.

    This is a fabulous raw rendition of that combo!!! Love it.
    Your raw caramel is a winner.

    Keep up the good work, I really enjoy your blog. So creative and everything looks beautiful as well as delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words :)! Caramel is one of my favorites, I think it needs to be paired with pears more often!

      Delete
  2. This sounds wonderful as usual, Amy! I keep thinking about buying a dehydrator. Maybe eventually I will just splurge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon :)! It is well worth the splurge!

      Delete
  3. i am loving all of your raw desserts, girl! spiced pear and caramel sounds like a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caitlin :)! It was quite heavenly!

      Delete
  4. Wow!! I had to create a new pinterest board for this one entitled YUM!!! Can't wait to make this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks :)! It definately was yum!

      Delete
  5. How fun is this Amy?! Looks like a dessert sandwich. Would love to eat it with my hands! hehe. Im totally into pears right now too. Perfect snack, or with caramel or almond butter, in smoothies, and in desserts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :)! Me too, but it would be very sticky haha! Agreed on the pears, this is the season for them while they are at their best ;)! I like the smoothie idea, I need to try that!

      Delete
  6. What an amazing fall cake this is, Amy! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you please write in a darker color? Printing out the recipes in pink/red makes the printed recipe difficult to read.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can copy the recipe to a word document and print it out in black if you like.

      Delete
  8. Caramel pears! I love caramel apples except for the apple. I love caramel and pears...what a great idea. Also, I love your passion and taking things to the next level.

    ReplyDelete