Monday, November 19, 2012

Raw Banana Caramel Cake



Do you ever wish that everything in life was at your leisure, and there was no such thing as rushing?  I certainly do.  During the week sometimes I feel that I never get a chance to simply enjoy the things I need to slowly. I wake up to an alarm, rush to get my workout in and get my butt out the door to work.  Where I rush to get things done, rush to get home and make dinner, rush to go out, then it is time for bed and starting over the process.  It would be nice if everything was simply done at the pace I felt like.  My meals were savored, not wolfed down, my body woke up when it wanted to and I was never worried about being late.  Which is exactly why I value my weekends so much!  There is nothing better than being able to simply enjoy the things you are doing and not have to worry about time! 


This weekend, in my free time, I decided that I needed to make a banana cake.  Making cake is one of my favorite things to do when I am not in a rush, and I had a big pile of ripe bananas on my counter. 

 
I decided that it needed to be a layer cake, then that it needed to have delicious caramel in between the layers along with fresh banana slices.


Also, a creamy frosting was essential, so I went with a creamy coconut vanilla bean laced frosting. Although the parts of the cake were delicious on their own, once combined they were heavenly! 


The sweet banana cake layers, gooey caramel and creamy frosting together were something that I got lost in as I enjoyed every last bite.  Leisure time at its best, indulging in something wonderful!


Raw Banana Caramel Cake
Serves 4

Cake:
1 cup soaked walnuts, dehydrated
1 cup sprouted, dehydrated buckwheat groats (or additional almonds if you don't care to make them)
1 3/4 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp sea salt
2  tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp maple extract
20  medjool dates, pitted
3 medium organic bananas, mashed

Frosting:
3/4 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/4 cup coconut water

2 tsp cider vinegar
1 cup fresh young coconut meat (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
1/4 cup raw agave nectar or raw honey
1 teaspoons vanilla and seeds of half a vanilla bean

1 tsp maple extract
1/4 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)

Caramel:
10 medjool dates, pitted
1 Tbsp almond butter
2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp water


one large banana, sliced

To make the cake, combine buckwheat, coconut and walnuts in the food processor and process until finely ground. Add the sea salt, vanilla, and dates and process until well blended and starting to hold together. Add the bananas, and process until well combined. Place the mixture onto a teflex lined dehydrator sheet, and shape into a square, about 2 inches thick. Dehydrate for 6 hours, then flip over and let dehydrate another 2-4 (until dry but not too dry, still a little moist in the middle). Remove from the dehydratorset aside while you prepare the frosting and caramel.

For the frosting, combine all ingredients except coconut oil and process until smooth. With the processor running, add the coconut oil, and process a minute more until well blended. Place the frosting in the freezer for about 1/2 an hour or until frosting consistency. 

To make the caramel, combine all ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth, then press through a fine meshed strainer to remove any date bits (optional, but makes for a smoother caramel).

To assemble the cake, cut off the ragged edges so you have a nice square, then cut in half. Spread half the caramel over one half, then top with banana slices and some of the frosting.  Top with the other half of the cake, spread with remaining frosting over the top and down the sides of the cake.  Place the remaining caramel in a pastry bag and pipe over the cake in a criss cross diagonal fashion (or however you like!  Pipe around the bottom of the cake too if desired.  Place in the fridge for about an hour to set and serve!
 

8 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Banana and caramel go hand in hand! :) Looks deelish Amy! I agree with you that rushing is just no good. I don't handle it well at all! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally Agree :)! Thank you, sounds like we are simlar ;)!

      Delete
  2. This looks great! I love the lattice top with the icing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious, I am trying to ease myself onto the raw food diet and this would make it so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! A little raw food at a time and soon you will be hooked!

      Delete
  4. Hi! I've become a huge fan of your blog and I've noticed you use sprouted, dehydrated buckwheat quite often as a base ingredient for crusts. Now, I don't own a dehydrator and don't think I can afford one any time soon, but instead of dehydrating buckwheat I've just soaked some organic buckwheat overnight, rinsed it carefully many times, drained it and used it to make the crust/cake without sprouting and dehydrating it. In my opinion my "cookings" turned out ok and tasted just fine. Since I'm not an expert and buckwheat is quite a new ingredient to me I'm just asking if there is some special reason why I shouldn't do it like this (for example are there some toxins in buckwheat, or something like that, that I should be aware of)? I know the benefit of sprouting is that the buckwheat will be much more nutritious, and maybe I'll someday have the patience to do that ;), but the dehydration really isn't necessary if you're baking right away, is it?

    Thanks for your answer, I appreciate your expertise. :) (and sorry if this question has been asked and answered here many times already!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason it is dehydrated for the crusts (or why I use it) is to add crunch. I dry it out for the cakes so it makes them not too moist. Since I dehydrate the cakes they do not get as dry as in the oven. So there is a reason I dry the groats. If you wanted though and were not trying to be raw, you could sub another crunchy ingredient in the crusts or use a flour in the cakes ;).

      Delete