Friday, November 30, 2012

Raw Mexican Dark Chocolate Turtle Cheesecake



This week was the birthday of someone who is very near and dear to my heart, my boyfriend Eric.  I am so grateful to have him as a part of my life, and ever since the day we met, I have been happier than ever.  He is sweet, caring, thoughtful, funny...the list goes on. 

 
Because he means the world to me, I wanted him to feel appriciated on his birthday.  Although I bought him a present as well, I thought I needed to make him a Birthday cake.  Afterall, I am always sharing my raw treats with him, so it just wouldn't be right for me to not make him something for his birthday!

 
I asked him if he would like to pick something, but he said to surprise him.  I have to admit I was quite excited about coming up with something that fit him.  The first thing that came to mind was mexican chocolate.  He loves the combination of heat with chocolate. Afterall, the recent recipes on this blog for Raw Dark Chocolate Chipotle Pecan Chunk Ice Cream and Chipotle Caramel Dark Chocolates were both his idea.  So, I thought why not a Raw Mexican Dark Chocolate Turtle Cheesecake!


For the filling I used my standard raw cheesecake base laced with cacao and heat in the form of chipotle, and a little hint of cinnamon.  It was quite delicious as is, and although I could have simply poured it into the crust as it was and topped it with caramel and chocolate, I decided to be a bit more decadent.  This was a special occasion afterall!  So I chopped up some raw pecan pie dark chocolates and pecans and scattered them over the crust and swirled plenty of caramel throughout the filling.  The top of the cheesecake needed some chocolate and pecans as well...and if I do say so it was a pretty sight.

 
The best part however, was being able to share the cake with him! We didn't put 26 candles, on the cake, but we had to have some! 
 
 
Afterall, what is a Birthday without being able to make a wish? He enjoyed the flavors of the cake, and so did I. I was so happy to be able to spend his special day with him. Eric, I hope your 26th year is the best ever! 


Eric's Birthday Cheesecake
(Raw Mexican Dark Chocolate Turtle Cheesecake)
Makes one 6 inch cake

Crust:
3/4 cup pecans, soaked and dried
3/4 cup sprouted buckwheat, dried in the dehydrator (or additional pecans)
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
10-12 soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped

 
Filling:
3 cups raw cashews (preferably soaked overnight and drained)
1/2 cup coconut water (or filtered water)
1/2 cup  raw agave nectar or honey
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
1 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)

Caramel:
10 medjool dates, pitted
1 Tbsp almond butter
2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp water

1 cup chopped Raw Pecan Pie Dark Chocolates (or other chopped raw chocolate)
1 cup chopped raw pecans

Lightly coat a 6 inch spring form removable bottom pans with coconut oil. To prepare the crust, process pecans, buckwheat and sea salt in a food processor until the pecans are fine crumbs, then add the dates and process until the mixture holds together when squeezed between your fingers (if not holding together, add more dates). Firmly press crust into the bottom of the prepared pan, and set aside.
To make the filling, drain the cashews and combine them with coconut water, agave nectar, raw cacao powder, chipotle powder, sea salt and vanilla in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. With the processor running, add the coconut oil, and process for a minute until blended.  Set aside while you prepare caramel.

To make the caramel, combine all ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth, then press through a fine meshed strainer to remove any date bits (optional, but makes for a smoother caramel).

To assemble cheesecake, scatter about 2/3 of the chopped chocolates and pecans over the crust.  Pour in half the chocolate filling, then drop some of the caramel by the tsp over the filling.  Pour the remaining chocolate filling over then drop more caramel on the top.  Swirl the filling with a knife, and tap on the counter to level.  Place in the freezer to set for about 4-6 hours.  Once set, decorate the edges of the top of the cake with the remaining chocolates and pecans.  Serve! Store remaining cheesecake in the fridge.

28 comments:

  1. Your recipes are awesome! You've got some major talent in this area. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tracie! Happy to share with you all :)!

      Delete
  2. Wow, terrific job! I love a good cheesecake, even though I feel like I need to go to church afterwards to confess my sins for indulging in such goodness! I will definitely have to try this recipe :)

    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Haha...well, not quite as sinful as if it were dairy ;)! I hope you do try it, so worth the indulgence!

      Delete
  3. YUM! I'll definitely be making this one in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, I know you will love it :)!

      Delete
  4. I just found this recipe from pin on the I Can't Believe It's Vegan board and I have to say I am absolutely blown away. I am a chiropractor and nutritionist in Toronto and I am always looking for recipes to show my patients that they don't have to give up what they love to eat health. I will definitely be checking out more of your recipes soon. Thank you so much for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That is exactly why I share my recipes, so people can have options to still enjoy the things they love without all the processed sugar. Welcome to my page :)!

      Delete
  5. Looks so good! I wish I could have the willpower to make that and NOT eat the entire thing ;)

    What a sweet birthday cake as well! My partner made me a cake from scratch this year and it completely warmed my heart. Apparently it was his first time baking something sweet.... ever... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! I had to share as it was not my cake ;)! That is awesome that he made you a cake! A guy who bakes is hard to find!

      Delete
  6. You both look very happy Amy! (Although I'm not sure it 'just' how great that cake must taste)
    Glad you had a wonderful time together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Angela :)! It was an amazing day, the cake being just a small fraction of it.

      Delete
  7. The recipe doesn't list coconut meat, however in the ingredients it says it's used! :-) so is it? Thanks so much! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it does not. I was originally going to use it but then could not get any, but I forgot to change that part of the recipe. Thank you :)!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for all the amazing recipes! Lookig forward to trying this one! :-)

      Delete
    3. You are very welcome! Happy to share :)!

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday to Eric! What a lucky boy to get such a gorgeous cake on his birthday.

    You never cease to amaze Amy.

    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rachel :)! I had to make something really special, he deserved it ;)! Hope you have a great weekend as well!

      Delete
  9. This looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummmmm!! Regular cheesecake is not my friend so knowing there's an alternative is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to help :)! I completely agree!

      Delete
  11. lookes so good! going to make it for my grandma on her birth day on thursday (!). Just have one question, could I make it before, like today and store it in the freezer until thursday? love your blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jennie :)! I am sure she will love it! Yes you can, it definately freezes well!

      Delete
  12. Hi Amy,

    I am about to make this cake for the SECOND time! I love it so much. I am making it for my boyfriend's birthday. I see it is ok to make ahead of time and freeze. Would you suggest putting it in the fridge an hour or so ahead of serving to soften? Thanks! Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! It is a perfect BF cake ;). It takes longer than an hour to thaw out, I would let it sit overnight in the fridge.

      Delete