Saturday, November 24, 2012

Raw Spiced Pear Granola



I was out for a run on Thanksgiving morning, and I saw the cutest older couple out for a walk.  They must have been at least 80 years old, and they looked so happy. He was helping her along, holding her hand and back as they enjoyed the fresh air.  I said "hello"as I passed them, and couldn't help but smile.  I have seen them out before, because they must live near me, and every time I cannot help but think how sweet they are. I always wish that one day when I am elderly I have someone to share my walks with, that would be wonderful.  I may only be 27, but I think about the future sometimes. 


When I arrived home from that run, I opened the door and a heavenly aroma greeted me.  No, not turkey...I know it was Thanksgiving, but I had actually put some raw granola in the dehydrator the night before and it was finally ready! 


This time I decided to make spiced pear, due to a large amount of pears that I had dried. I also threw in some pecans, walnuts and cranberries, and it was even more delicious than it smelled! 


Raw Spiced Pear Granola
Makes about 8 cups

2 cups raw buckwheat
1 1/2 cups dried large coconut flakes
1 cups raw pecans, soaked for 6 hours and drained
1 cups raw walnuts, soaked for 6 hours and drained
1/4 cup raw agave nectar or honey
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp maple extract
1 Tbsp filtered water
2 Tbsp raw coconut oil, liquified
2 cups dried pears
2 cups dried cranberries

Soak buckwheat for 8 hours, rinse very well (as it has a slimy coating that needs to be removed) and drain. Place in a large jar and set in a well lit area (natural light, but not in direct sunlight). Let sit for a couple days, or until little sprouts begin to emerge from the buckwheat, rinsing 2 times a day. Once sprouted, drain well, and place in a large bowl, along with the coconut, pecans and walnuts. In a small bowl, whisk together the agave nectar (or honey), cinnamon,cardamom, nutmeg, sea salt, vanilla, maple, water, and coconut oil. Pour the mixture over the granola, and mix well with your hands. Spread out on 2 dehydrator sheets lined with teflex, and dry for about 12 hours or until crispy. Pour into a bowl, and mix in pears and crasins, enjoy! Can be stored in an airtight container for a few weeks at room temperature.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! Can't wait to try, have the buckwheat soaking right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! So happy to hear you are trying it!

      Delete