Sunday, December 30, 2012

Citrus Carpaccio with Grapefruit Lavender Ice Cream, Pistachio Crumble, and Lavender Syrup


I have to admit, I am not a big winter fan with the cold and all, but one thing that makes me very happy is the abundance of citrus fruit.  Oranges, grapefruits, lemons...I love them all, and I love using them in desserts even more!  Although I enjoy making a lot of pies, cakes, cookies, and rich stuff, this weekend I thought I would make something a little lighter.  Partly because my dehydrator broke (which I was very sad about, but I ordered a new one so I am happy) and partly because I was in that sort of mood. 


Plus, citrus deserves to be shown off, it is lovely!  So I thought a carpaccio would be a perfect way to do so.  I just made some Raw Grapefruit Lavender Ice Cream, and I knew it would be perfect with it!


I thought a crunchy element would be nice as well, so I added some tart pomegranate seeds.  But it needed some nuts and saltiness as well, so I created a pistachio coconut cumble and it was perfect with it!  Lastly, I made a lavender syrup to drizzle over it and voila...winter citrus beauty!  It was heavenly, and just the type of light dessert I was craving!  People would not need so many new years resolutions to eat healthier if they made desserts like this!

 
Citrus Carpaccio with Grapefruit Lavender Ice Cream, Pistachio Crumble, and Lavender Syrup
Serves 2

Syrup:
2 Tbsp raw agave nectar or raw honey
2 Tbsp water
2 tsp dried lavender flowers
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Crumble:
1/4 cup raw pistachios, shelled
1/4 cup large flake coconut
1 Tbsp agave nectar
a large pinch sea salt

2 pink grapefruits (such as Rio Stars), Peeled, and thinly sliced horizintally
2 oranges, peeled and thinly sliced horizontally
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds

Raw Grapefruit Lavender Ice Cream

For the syrup, combine all ingredients together in a small bowl, and stir to dissolve agave nectar.  Let sit for at least a few hours. 
For the crumble, combine the pistachios, coconut, agave nectar, and sea salt in the blender and pulse until coarsely chopped and sticking together a bit. 
On each of 2 plates, place the grapefruit and orange slices decoratively, and scatter some pomegranate seeds.  Place a scoop of the ice cream, then spoon some of the crumble around it.  Drizzle the syrup over the citrus.  Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful dessert, Amy! I can envision this being served at a fancy restaurant. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jennifer :)! The best part is it can be enjoyed in the comfort of my own home ;)!

      Delete
  2. Just stunning, Amy! And a relatively guilt free dessert...but not lacking in flavor! Happy New Year, my friend!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Liz :)! Totally guilt free, Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous - I am thinking each component is a separate meal and I have a 3-course dinner here. Really, really love the pistachios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Claudia :)! Hope you have a wonderful New Year!

      Delete
  4. You always present your dishes so beautifully. I would call this one eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy, I'd like to make your dessert this Wed, but I cant get the grapefruit lavender ice cream so fast:-( I do can get a jasmin, violet flowers or rose ice cream. Could you advice how should I adjust your recipe, so it will keep its garmony and beauty.
    Many thanks for your quick reply!
    Marina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grapefruit rose ice cream would be delicious as well, simply omit the lavender and add a tsp rosewater to the ice cream base.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Amy, but I'm not going to make ice cream myself :-)This time at least... There is a best gelatery in the area. So, I will rely on them. There is jasmine, violet flowers or rose ice cream available but without grapefruit. So it will be like citrus carpaccio with a flower ice and pistachio crumble. Do you think it will work out? I don’t know what taste of the ice cream I should go for. May be violet flowers and decorate the dessert with the flowers?

      Delete
    3. I think it would work out, you can try the violet, maybe you will create something new and delicious ;)!

      Delete