Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Mini Raw Chocolate Mint Swirl Cheesecakes

 
 
I am not sure who decided that mint was a holiday flavor, but every year around this time I feel the need to make something minty.  I am not a fan of candy canes, never have been, because they are overly sweet and too minty to me, but I love things like mint in vanilla sugar cookies.  I have been on another raw cheesecake making kick lately, and I thought some individual mint cheesecakes would be amazing! I contemplated just making a vanilla mint cheesecake, but chocolate found its way into the recipe as well.
 

 
 
I wanted it to be kind of like a grasshopper malt in cheesecake form.  Those were always my favorite as a child! If you do not know what I am talking about, it is a mint and chocolate malt and they are so refreshing!  The filling tasted almost like a malt after blending it up before pouring it into the crust.  The chocolate like biting into a dark chocolate mint truffle and the vanilla smooth and sweet.  I could have sat myself down with a bowl of it and ate it as was, not allowing it to set, but then I would not have pretty cheesecakes to share.
 

Once they had set, and I had decorated them with vanilla cream, I was so excited to try them!  The aroma alone was calling to me, and my mouth was watering.  The set cheesecakes were even better than the filling and the bite I took melted in my mouth.  I devoured one in no time, and I was wishing it was not gone.  I think I may be making another mint dessert soon! 


Mini Raw Chocolate Mint Swirl Cheesecakes
Makes four 4 inch cakes

Crust:
3/4 cup pecans, soaked and dried
3/4 cup sprouted buckwheat, dried in the dehydrator (or additional pecans)
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
10-12 soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped
1/4 cup raw cacao powder

Filling:
3 cups raw cashews (preferably soaked overnight and drained)
1/2 cup coconut water
1/2 cup raw agave nectar or honey
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)
3/4 tsp peppermint extract
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
one handful organic spinach leaves (enough to tint the filling green)
1/4 cup raw cacao powder

Cream :
1 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/2 cup coconut water
2 cups fresh young coconut meat (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons raw agave nectar or raw honey
2 teaspoons vanilla and seeds of half a vanilla bean (the other half of the one you used for the filling)
1/2 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
 
Lightly coat the bottoms and sides of four 4 inch spring form removable bottom pans with coconut oil. To prepare the crust, process pecans, buckwheat and cacao powder and sea salt in a food processor until the pecans are fine crumbs, then add the dates and process until the mixture holds together when squeezed between your fingers (if not holding together, add more dates). Firmly press crust into the bottom of the prepared pan, and set aside.

To make the filling, drain the cashews and combine them with coconut water, agave nectar, sea salt vanilla and peppermint in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. With the processor running, add the coconut oil, and process for a minute until blended. Add the spinach and process until evenly green. Divide the filling in half and place half back into the food processor. Add the cacao powder to the filling in the food processor and process until well blended. To assemble, drop the fillings, alternating between chocolate and plain over the crust in 1 Tbspful amounts. Once filled, tap on the counter to level and swirl with a knife. place in the freezer to set for about 4-6 hours. 

Meanwhile, to make the cream topping, combine all ingredients but the coconut oil in the food processor and process until smooth. Add the coconut oil with the motor running and process about a minute more. Place in a bowl and put in the freezer to set until frosting consistency, about an hour.  Place the cream in a pastry bag and pipe around the edges and bottoms of the cheesecakes.  Serve!  Store leftovers in the fridge.

16 comments:

  1. I'm on a huge mint chocolate kick lately - can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happen to know or have a ballpark on the nutritional info?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I do not. I just use the best ingredients possible, and do not worry about calories. If you are concerned, I would suggest enjoying in moderation.

      Delete
  3. Amy, You teased this the other day on Facebook...it looks sensational! I enjoy your adventurous recipes. Keep up the fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is like a piece of art. I wish I could bake... this is one of the most beautiful cakes I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! No need to bake with this one, just chill in the freezer ;)!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful cake! Can you recommend a brand of peppermint extract that you like for this cake? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! I use Flavorganics

      Delete
  6. I'm thinking of making a similar cheesecake for a party--only cookies and cream flavor, with a choclate coconut ganash topping. Tell me, what is the consistency of this cake? Is it really like cheesecake? I'm surprised and impressed you didn't use any tofu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is better than cheesecake :)! No tofu needed, and I don't eat soy anymore, so that wasn't an option for me. Try it out, I know you will love it just as much as I did :)!

      Delete
    2. yes, i try to limit my soy and animal products as much as I can, I am going to be whipping up a similar one! thanks!!

      Delete
  7. I've been thinking about this since December, and I finally got to make it. So delicious!! :)
    I'm curious, though, any reason this filling is all cashews, and not a cashew/coconut mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed it :)! Because I did not have enough at the time, and I used to make all my cheesecake bases with cashew.

      Delete
    2. That makes sense, thanks! I've been enjoying your recipes very much, and I like to learn about what I'm doing.

      Delete