Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pomegranate Maple Caramel Cakelettes

 
I cannot get enough of pomegranates lately.  They are going into everything, savory and sweet.  There is just somthing so attractive about the little red jewel like fruits that makes me want to put them in everything. Last week, I got to imagining them in more desserts, and I started to think about pairing them with caramel. 

 
I told my Mother about my idea of pairing pomegranates with caramel and she said it sounded weird and that she never had heard of that before.  I explained that the tart and sweet along with the silky caramel and crunchy pom seeds would be lovely.  She still didn't believe me, but since I do not stop when I think of something I am craving, I went with it.  I thought I could add a little maple, and "bake"some raw maple pomegranate cake in my dehydrator, top them off with the caramel and more fresh seeds.  It sounded delicious, and I was confident it would be.  
 
 
I made the cakes mini, as it is the Holidays, and all things mini are proper right now, but I may as well have made one big one and cut a piece the way I ate them.  The combination was amazing, and the cakes were simply beautiful with the golden caramel and red pomegranate seeds atop the cakes.  I can imagine these being served at a fancy new years party!  Too bad they are are all gone...


Pomegranate Maple Caramel Cakelettes
Makes about 18

cake:
2 cups raw almond meal*
2 cups dried shredded coconut
2 1/2 cups sprouted oat or buckwheat flour (or additional almond meal)
2/3 cup raw agave nectar or honey
2 small organic apples, diced
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp maple extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 cups pomegranate seeds

Caramel:
20 medjool dates, pitted
2 Tbsp coconut or macadamia butter
1/4 cup raw agave nectar or honey
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup water

pomegranate seeds for garnish
To make cake, combine almond meal, coconut, and oat flour in the food processor and process until finely ground. Add agave nectar, apples, sea salt and process until very smooth. Place in a bowl and stir in pomegranate seeds.  Place batter on a teflex lined dehydrator* sheet, spread out into a rectangle about 1 inch high and dehydrate for about 12 hours, then flip over (carefully using another flat cutting board or something to assist) and dehydrate another 4 hours or so until firm, but still soft in the middle. Flip back over, cut into 1 1/2 inch squares, and if not dry yet, place the squares back in the dehydrator for another couple hours. 

For the caramel frosting, combine all ingredients in a food processor anf process until very smooth (you may need to let process for a while for all the ingredients to warm up). Press the caramel through a fine meshed strainer to remove any date bits (optional, but makes for a smoother caramel.   Top each cakelette with the frosting. Garnish each with a few pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!

*For the almond meal I used soaked, skinned, and dried almonds, finely ground in the food processor. You can use almond pulp if you like, just dry it first.

**If you do not own a dehydrator, you can make these in the oven at the lowest possible temp. Just place on a lined baking sheet, and bake for about 6 hours, then check them as they will take less time.

7 comments:

  1. Omg, I recently found a pomegranate and tried it for the 1st time. OH MY SO DELICIOUS! Me too have been wanting to add it to everything. I love the beautiful colour and the sweet and a bit sour taste;) I must try this recipe and all your recipes:) This one is perfect for the holidays. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they amazing?! I hope you do try it, I am sure you will love it :)!

      Delete
  2. Loved these. Had them as part of a breakfast buffet. They are so rich and sweet that a small piece is incredibly satisfying. (Maybe that's why people eat so much junk food because it's not satisfying?) Mine looked pretty good---but you definitely have a flair for swirling toppings. Glad you didn't listen to your mom about it being weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! So happy you made them and enjoyed them as well as your friend's grandkids who normally don't eat healthy. Yeah...my Mom is skeptical sometimes, but I usually win her over when she tastes it ;).

      Delete
  3. And just had to add this---had some left over from breakfast. Brought them over to a friend's house. Her grandkids wanted to try them---she said they would never like anything that didn't have chicken nuggets in them! They've never had raw/healthy. They actually loved it! I doubt that just this will start them on healthy eating, but at least they've been exposed to something of quality....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am allergic to almonds. Any recommendation for the next best ingredient to use?

    ReplyDelete