Thursday, December 13, 2012

Raw Banana Caramel Walnut Ice Cream

 
You may think that because it is winter I would stop making and eating ice cream but that is not the case.  I am an ice cream year round kind of a girl, even when there is a blizzard going on outside.  In fact, last weekend in Minnesota where I live it snowed all day Sunday and in the evening I was sitting in my kitchen staring out at the beautiful falling snow and eating ice cream.  Afterall, snow reminds me of dessert and so it makes me hungry!  Dusty light snow is like powdered sugar and the large fluffy drifts remind me of marshmallows...so staring at it makes me hungry for desserts.  

 
Back to the ice cream though, I have a feeling anyone would eat this stuff in a blizzard if they took a bite, it was that good.  Raw Banana Caramel Walnut.  Satisfying my cravings for sweet, gooey, and crunchy.  It was really born out of a few leftover things I had around when I decided to make ice cream. Over ripe bananas, which make the best ice cream because they are the sweetest, leftover caramel from some other desserts and walnuts I happened to have on hand. 
 
 
A little random, in lieu of all of the Holiday desserts I have made lately, but sometimes I need a little break from that.  It was damn delicious and that was what counted.  I always find new uses for over ripe bananas!

 
 
Raw Banana Caramel Walnut Ice Cream:
Makes about 5 cups

Caramel:
10 medjool dates
2 Tbsp raw coconut butter or macadamia butter (raw almond butter will also work)
3 Tbsp raw agave nectar or honey
1 tsp maple extract
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/4 tsp fleur de sel
1/4 cup filtered water (or more if too thick, add an additional Tbsp at a time)


Ice Cream:
1/2 cup coconut water
1 cup raw cashews, soaked 4 hours and drained
1 cup young coconut meat, chopped
1/4 cup raw agave nectar or raw honey
seeds of one vanilla bean
a pinch of sea salt
2 small, ripe organic bananas
1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid

1 cup raw walnuts, chopped

 To make caramel, combine all ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth.  Press the mixture through a fine meshed strainer to remove any date bits (optional, but makes for a smoother caramel). Set aside.  To make ice cream base, add coconut water to a food processor, along with cashews, 1/2 cup cashews, coconut meat, agave nectar, vanilla, sea salt, and bananas. Process until smooth, then with the processor running, add the coconut oil slowly and process until well incorporated, about a minute. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to directions. Remove from ice cream make and pour about a third into a freezer safe container scatter some walnuts over it and drop clumps of caramel over.  Add 1/2 the remaining ice cream mixture and repeat with the walnuts and caramel.  Add the last of the ice cream, then more walnuts and caramel.  Swirl with a knife and place the top on. Let chill in the freezer for a few hours until a little more firm before scooping.


12 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing! I will definitely have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! I do hope you try it, happy to share!

      Delete
  2. What kind of ice cream maker do you use?
    My ice cream( http://www.gaggiagelatiera.co.uk/)never comes out that nice, either it is too soft and I have to put it in the freezer again and then its too hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just use a Hamilton Beach. Most ice cream makers make the ice cream soft and it needs to ripen a few hours in the freezer before firm enough to scoop, no matter which one you use. I used to have a nice Cuisinart and it did the same.

      Delete
  3. Telling me that snow reminds you of dessert (aka ice cream) does not help my resolve. This looks luscious. I am on the prowl for a vegan pasta dish that is Italian but you know - this ice cream works just as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia :)! I hope you are surviving the snow too ;)! Hope you find that pasta dish :)!

      Delete
  4. Can't you fix your pages so the picture and recipe can be printed without all the rest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but you can copy the recipe to a word document, and print in black.

      Delete
    2. Try using Print Friendly (http://www.printfriendly.com) to strip out the extra content. There's a version that can be used on blogs, but also a bookmarklet that readers can add to their browser. Works great for me.

      Delete
  5. Yummm love banana and caramel and nuts together! Too cold for ice cream these days up here in the north but I can never get enough the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :)! As far as I am concerned it is never too cold...although we had one 5 degree day and now it is back up o 40 and the snow is melting. Unusual, but I am not complaining ;).

      Delete