Friday, December 14, 2012

Raw Grapefruit Rose Sandwich Cookies


When I was a child, eating a grapefruit meant slicing it in half, pouring about a cup of sugar over it and scooping out the flesh.  A little grapefruit with my sugar.  I got this habit from a family member who will remain nameless.  I thought grapefruit needed to be served with sugar in order to be palatable, that is until I was in college and my Mom gave me a bag of Rio Star pink grapefruits. 

 
She told me to try squeezing one and drinking the juice like orange juice.  I was skeptical, but I tried it, and I was pleasantly surprised!  It tasted wonderful! I realized that I had been eating grapefruit the wrong way all those years.  I have since eaten them like oranges simply peeling them and enjoying. 
 

 
So now every year when the Rio Stars come into season, I buy large amounts until they are no longer available.  I use them in drinks, salads, and simply eat them, but I love to use them in desserts as well. I have made pies and compotes, but last weekend I thought they would add a lovely flavor to cookies.

 
I made some simple raw vanilla cookies with a touch of grapefruit zest, and sandwiched them together with a rose scented grapefruit cream.  They seemed like something that would be served at a winter tea party, but I certainly didn't eat them properly.  I was too distracted by their deliciousness as I licked the cream off my fingers that had oozed out when I bit into one. 


Raw Grapefruit Rose Sandwich Cookies
Makes 12

Cookies:
1 cup shredded dried coconut
1 cup buckwheat, sprouted and dehydrated until dry (or additional coconut)
2 cups almond meal*
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp raw agave nectar or honey
2 tsp pure vanilla extract or seeds of one vanilla bean
2 Tbsp grapefruit juice
2 Tbsp organic grapefruit zest
1/4 tsp sea salt

frosting:
3/4 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/4 cup grapefruit juice

2 Tbsp organic grapefruit zest
1 cup fresh young coconut meat (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
1/4 cup raw agave nectar or raw honey
1 teaspoons vanilla and seeds of half a vanilla bean

1 tsp rosewater
1/4 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)

For the cookies, combine the shredded coconut, buckwheat, and almond meal in a food processor, and process until finely ground. Add agave nectar, vanilla, juice, zest, and sea salt and process until well combined. Remove dough from processor and roll out on a piece of parchment 1/4 inch thick.  Place in the freezer for 1/2 an hour, then cut out with small heart (or whichever shape you like) cookie cutters.  Place them on a teflex lined dehydrator sheet and dehydrate for about 24 hours until dry but soft in the middle.

Meanwhile, for the frosting, combine all ingredients except coconut oil and process until smooth. With the processor running, add the coconut oil, and process a minute more until well blended. Place the frosting in the freezer for about an hour or until frosting consistency, then place in a pastry bag and pipe onto half the cookies (bottom side up). Top with the other cookies to form sandwiches. Enjoy!  Keep refridgerated.

17 comments:

  1. So I'm not the only one who eats grapefruit like an orange! Nice to see a recipe with rosewater, too, as I bought some to make Turkish Delight and don't know what to do with it (though it works well with chocolate).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I love them that way! I have actually used it in baklava too, and in ice cream, it is so delicious with vanilla.

      Delete
  2. Yum! Rio Stars were the first grapefruits I was ever able to palate - they're still my favorite! :D I eat them like an orange as well. Actually, I think that they are almost . . . dare I say, BETTER than oranged? Anyways, the cookies are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *oranges LOL not "oranged" ;)

      Delete
    2. They are sooo good :)! I think they are better than an orange too! Thanks so much Sunnie :)!

      Delete
  3. These are so cute. I've never used grapefruit in a dessert before but I do love them halved and scooped out for breakfast though (no sugar!) and eaten like an orange. Another one to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! I hope you do try them in dessert, they are wonderful!

      Delete
  4. Did you mean to put the buckwheat in at the beginning also? Should it be sprouted first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did, and it should be sprouted and dehydrated, that is what I used. If you do not want to mess with it though, you can use additional coconut.

      Delete
  5. Time for you to write a book!! These are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so adorable Amy! I think they'd be perfect for Valentines Day too. Grapefruit is something I enjoy but don't use often enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heather :)! I completely agree, with the pink!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for posting! I made this today. I've never made raw cookies before so I was super excited about this recipe but I may have been a little over my head here. haha I only had One cup of almond meal (from almond milk pulp dehydrated) so I substituted the 2nd cup with flax meal. Also, used coconut nectar instead of agave which turned the cookies really dark, maybe the flax meal did that too. Only dehydrated them at 105 for about 12 hours and they came out kinda hard and a little dry and kind of earthy tasting. The grapefruit flavor takes some getting used to since it is a distinct flavor. But overall, I was so happy to make my first RAW cookies! They were tasty but not sweet. Was the earthy flavor owing to using flax meal in place of almond meal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flax meal and coconut nectar probably both contributed to the earthy/not sweet flavor of the cookies. Mine were pretty sweet, not earthy at all, and pretty soft, not dry. Glad you decided to try making them :)!

      Delete
    2. Hi Amy!! Thanks for your reply! Okay so update: I was totally wrong! I waiting a day to eat them and they were wonderful! So fragrant with a nice subtle grapefruit flavor and fragrance. Delicious! Maybe the flavors had to settle? Had them with tea (chocolate Yerba Mate) and everyone in my family LOVED them! This was my first attempt at dehydrating so I wasn't confident in my abilities. Lol You are awesome! I am going to attempt to make an Oreo type cookie with this recipe. Thanks again! Will be trying many more of your recipes! :) So excited!

      Delete
    3. Awesome! I think the flax may have dried them out and made them less chewy. At least in my dehydrating experiences. So happy they worked out for you! I think the recipe would be perfect as an oreo if you just added cacao powder :)!Let me know how they turn out if you make them ;)!

      Delete