Friday, December 21, 2012

Raw Lavender Lemon Macaroons


I was in the bulk department at the health food store I work in, by the spices and I noticed a woman filling up a large bag of dried lavender.  I am a little curious at times as to what other people use it for, as I often get asked the question when I buy it.  So I asked her what she was using it for and she replied, a herbal neck wrap.  I should have guessed, as she was also buying a lot of buckwheat.  Hopefully she didn't think me too nosey, but in the back of my mind, before I had asked the question I was imagining her making some sort of exotic dessert...it was a lot more glamourous than the reality.  I think most people do not think to eat lavender, they simply use it for relaxation.  That woman's large bag of lavender inspired me though, to create a dessert. 


It is actually one of my favorite things to use in desserts!  It is wonderful with fruit, and especially delicious with lemon!  Which is why I decided that raw lavender lemon macaroons would be downright heavenly!

 
When I whipped up the dough and sampled it, I knew they would be something special.  I wanted to simply eat them as they were and not have to wait to dehydrate, but I was rewarded for waiting...they were amazing!  I was not done yet however. 

 
These needed to be dipped in dark chocolate.  Afterall, why not make them even more delicious.  Being patient definately paid off....what a beautiful, delicious use for lavender.  I could go for one of those herbal neck wraps while enjoying it...it is winter after all!


Raw Lavender Lemon Macaroons
Makes a dozen

Macaroons:
3/4 cup raw almond meal*
1 Tbsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp lemon juice
a pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup raw agave nectar
2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
1 1/2 Tbsp dried lavender

Chocolate:
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/4 cup raw coconut oil
2 Tbsp raw agave nectar
a pinch of sea salt

Place almond meal, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sea salt in the food processor and process until well combined. Add the agave nectar and process until the mixture holds together. Add coconut and pulse until the mixture holds together, then add lavender and pulse until well distributed. Form the mixture into 12 balls, and place on a dehydrator sheet. Dehydrate for about 12 hours, or until they are dried, but not so much so that they are not a little chewy in the middle.
To make chocolate, whisk all ingredients together until smooth in a bowl and let sit until it thickens a little (about 15-20 min). Lay out a sheet of foil on a sheet pan. Dip each macaroon into the chocolate and place on the foil. Once all dipped, put in the freezer to set. Once chocolate has hardened, enjoy!

*I used soaked, skinned and dried almonds to make the meal.

17 comments:

  1. I like to eat it AND wear it! I keep a bottle of lavender oil next to my bed :D Now, I need to keep a plate of these macaroons next to my bed too! lol! Big hugs Amy! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha me too! It smells amazing, and tastes sooo good :)! Thanks Tiffany!

      Delete
  2. Will this work without dehydrating and placed in the refrigerator? Why is salt added?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may fall apart if not dehydrated, but you can do it at the lowest oven temp if you wish. The salt is added to bring out the sweet (there is always a little salt in dessert recipes to balance out the flavors). You can leave it out but they will not taste as good.

      Delete
  3. Wow these look delicious and I love your photography. I will definitely have to try this recipe, thanks for sharing!

    Sincerely,
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mature-Spring-Chick/327437627326523

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! I hope you do, have a wonderful Christmas weekend!

      Delete
  4. You always come up with the most wonderful flavor combinations Amy! These look/sound lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heather :)! I hope you are having a wonderful Holiday season! I was drooling over your page of dessert ideas and that fruitcake! Yum!!!

      Delete
  5. These are beautiful! Lemon + lavender is one of my favorite flavors, so refreshing..Thanks for this splendid recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bridget :)! Happy to share the recipe with you, and you have good tastes if it is one of your favorites too';)!

      Delete
  6. Love its brightness and natural sweetness. Cooking with lavender is a bonus! Happy Holidays, Amy! I love your raw, sweet treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Claudia :)! I hope you are enjoying the Holidays! Have a wonderful Christmas week :)!

      Delete
  7. looks so yummy! May I ask in what ration is lavender added? grams/tbs/cups/ ?
    As I don't have dehydrator, how long would you suggest to leave it in the oven (as you advised previously)?

    Thank you for inspiring recipes ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! Tablespoons as listed above. I would check them after 6 hours in the oven (if using the lowest temp).

      Delete
  8. MY OVEN HAS A DEFROST COULD I USE THAT TO DEHYDRATE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you could, especially if it is a low temp like 115F!

      Delete
  9. then can you use the microwave defrost setting? am thinking not but wanted to ask

    ReplyDelete