Thursday, December 20, 2012

Raw Vanilla Mint Ice Cream Snowballs


Instead of thinking of snow as something cold and wet, which makes driving difficult, I prefer to imagine it as fluffy marshmallows, powdered sugar or flaked coconut.  You see, when I look out the window and the snow is filling up the yards and driveways with beautiful little falling flakes it looks to me like dessert. 

 
This is why I decided that I needed to make some sort of snowballs which were actually edible.  Many people make cookie snowballs, but I decided that ice cream would be just as appropriate.  I know, cold ice cream in the winter...but actually, I don't mind as I enjoy it year round.  I love the stuff! 


I thought about plain vanilla, but vanilla laced with mint sounded perfectly wintery and I could not resist the combo.  The ice cream base was delicously minty, sweet with vanilla and melted on my tounge, much more delicious than eating real snow. 

 
Once it was ready and frozen, I shaped it into "snowballs" and coated them in sweet coconut flakes.  Oh my were they ever delicious.  I imagine a snowball fight would be much more fun were these tasty snow balls involved. Although it would not be much of a fight because everyone would stop to eat them. 

 
Raw Vanilla Mint Ice Cream Snowballs
Makes about 8

1/2 cup coconut water
1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
1 cup young coconut meat, chopped
1/4 cup raw agave nectar or raw honey
seeds of one vanilla bean
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
a pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid

1 1/2 cups shredded coconut

 Add coconut water to a food processor, along with cashews, coconut meat, agave nectar, vanilla, peppermint, and sea salt. Process until smooth, then with the processor running, add the coconut oil slowly and process until well incorporated, about a minute. Pour the mixture through a fine meshed strainer and press through until you have removed any coconut bits (you can skip this step, but it makes for a smoother ice cream). Pour the strained mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to directions. Remove from ice cream maker, and pour into a freezer safe container. Let chill in the freezer for a few hours until a little more firm before scooping. Scoop into balls, and place on a foil lined sheet.  Put coconut in a bowl, and drop each ball into the bowl, coating it with the coconut (one at a time), pressing the coconut into the ice cream to adhere, then place the balls back on the foil until you are finished.  Either serve immediately, or store in the freezer, in a container with a lid.

6 comments:

  1. Amy, I am going to nominate you for raw food sainthood this Christmas. You truly are the most giving raw foodist on the net with your amazing recipes, your generosity and your distinct lack of product pushing and advertising. I LOVE this blog! Every time I come here it's like Christmas and I get something delicious to delight my tastebuds. You Northeners might be snowed under but we Southeners (Tasmania Australia in our case) are really enjoying raw foods. I just started including green smoothies thanks to your wonderful blog that has me thinking that a raw food diet is completely possible...I am NOT going to miss out on anything! Thank you again, you are doing MORE than your bit for spreading Christmas cheer and have helped so many of us on our raw journey with your incredible generosity and amazing recipes. I will be putting some of these babies in front of me Christmas day and will be enjoying my own little personal Christmas nirvana thanks to you :) Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words :)! I appriciate that you visit my blog, and I am happy to share all of my recipes with you! I am actually new to raw food myself, and just began my raw journey in August, experimenting and posting the recipes as I go. I am so happy you are enjoying them :)! Merry Christmas to you, I wish I lived in your warm climate, you are lucky!

      Delete
  2. These are so cute Amy! And I can practically taste them from afar. I'll try to imagine the piles of snow out my window as fluffy edible marshmallows too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heather :)! I am sure you guys have plenty of snow there too to imagine as desserts ;)!

      Delete