Friday, January 11, 2013

Chili Cheeze Kale Chips


 I cannot get enough kale lately!  In salads, smoothies, soups...which is why I decided to try making kale chips.  After all, it seemed easy enough.  However, I tried it once in the oven before I went raw and burnt them, which is why I have not attempted to make them until now.  I know, everyone else seems to have already jumped on the kale chips train, but better late than never!  I figured the dehydrator was a safe choice however, no burning.  I looked at many different recipes trying to figure out what I wanted in mine, then I kind of just threw one together hoping that it would turn out.  I thought I would go with chili cheese or "cheeze" (I love that word) as I like to call it. soaked sunflowers with nutritional yeast to create the cheesyness, chili powder, lime, garlic, and a bit of chipotle for kick.  The mixture tasted wonderful before it went on the chips, so I knew it would after they were done!  I waited overnight for them to dehydrate and voila!  Delicious kale chips! I was pleasantly surprised, and the best part was they retained their beautiful green color much more than they would have in the oven!


Chili Cheeze Kale Chips
makes about 10 cups

1 cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked for 4 hours, drained
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground chipotle
1 garlic clove
1 tsp sea salt ot to taste, plus additional for sprinkling (optional)
juice of one lime
filtered water

1 bunch kale, washed and torn into bite sized pieces

In a food processor, combine the seeds, yeast, chili powder, chipotle, garlic, sea salt and lime with about 1/4 cup of filtered water.  Turn the processor on and process until smooth,  a little more water at a time to create a smooth paste about the consistency of nacho cheese.  Place the kale in a large bowl, and pour the mixture over.  Massage the cheeze into the kale with your hands until it is all coated, then place on 2 lined dehydrator sheets.  Dehydrate at 115F until dry overnight (about 8-10 hours). Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. These look delicious. I am going to have to wait till my kale regrows...the possums ate it all! Cheers for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard good things about kale chips, I will definitely have to try make these. Thanks for sharing!

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do try them, you will love them :)!

      Delete
  3. All I can say is - YUM!!! Just made these today and they are awesome!!! Love the flavor! No more store bought for me ever again. Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So happy you decided to try them for yourself :)! I am happy to share my recipe with you.

      Delete
  4. LOVE this! I'm allergic to cashews, so this is a great alternative for me! Thanks Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this recipe works for you :)! I wanted to do something other then cashews!

      Delete
  5. Made these in the dehydrator last night. Scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay :)! So happy you tried them out!

      Delete