Friday, January 18, 2013

Lavender Lemon Caramel Dark Chocolates


What if, instead of saying negative things to others, we gave them chocolate instead?  Really, the world would  be a much happier place.  It may sound silly, but I guess I just feel like there is way too much negativity going around lately.  It is winter, we are all cooped up inside and people are crabby.  But if we all stopped to think about the negative things we are about to let escape from our mouth, would they really be necessary?  Probably not.  So instead of letting them escape why not share something lovely and delicious instead. Yes, positive words would do, but if you had a bag of chocolate, why not?  Maybe that other person is having a rough day as well, and you would create a better day for you both?

 
I recently made some pretty darn heavenly chocolates that would make anyone's day just a bit brighter.  Raw Lemon Lavender Caramel Dark Chocolates.  It may sound like an unusual combination, but it was lovely!  Afterall, I like to think outside the bix when it comes to flavors.  

 
The lemon was so bright and tart, perfect with the sweet caramel and the lavender gave them a lovely aroma against the rich chocolate.  They were so good, I admit I ate 8 when I was aiming to taste one...not to mention licking the chocolate bowl clean and finishing off extra caramel.  I was one pretty happy girl!


Lavender Lemon Caramel Dark Chocolates
Makes about 16



Caramel:
10 medjool dates
2 Tbsp raw coconut butter or macadamia butter (raw almond butter will also work)
3 Tbsp raw agave nectar or honey
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract


1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/4 tsp fleur de sel

1/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp lemon zest
filtered water as needed
1 1/2 Tbsp dried lavender flowers

Chocolate:
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
1/2 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid
1/4 cup raw agave nectar
a pinch of sea salt

16 hole chocolate mold (I used silicone)

To make the caramel, combine all ingredients (except lavender) in a food processor and process until smooth. Add a Tbsp or more of water if too thick.  Press the mixture thorough a fine meshed strainer to remove any date bits. Stir in lavender.  Place into a pastry bag and pipe small 1/2 tsp mounds onto a piece of foil. Place in the freezer until hardened slightly.
When caramel is frozen, to make the chocolate, combine all ingredients and whisk together until smooth. Take your chocolate mold and fill holes half full with chocolate. Take your caramel and spoon one mound into each hole on top of the chocolate. Top with remaining chocolate in the holes so it is even with the top of the mold. Place in the freezer to harden, then pop out of the molds and enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Wow these look so good! I love chocolate and caramel, two of my favorite sweet things! Thanks for sharing :)

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! Me too, which is why I thought I would put a twist on a classic!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! My mouth is watering already. Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! Happy Valentine's Day to you too!

      Delete
  3. These sound delicious Amy - you always come up with the most creative flavor combos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely agree with you that chocolate would prevent some people of doing bad things :) and these chocolates look beautiful and I can't wait to try them, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you agree! Thank you so much, I do hope you try them :)!

      Delete
  5. http://www.sirovahrana.hr/clanak/cokoladna_srca_od_lavande-1169
    I think this is your receipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I JUST checked that link posted by Anonymous I think somebody listed your recipe, unless you did that. Just look at it as a compliment instead of anything else. They flattered you by listing your recipe. Just like you stated in your blog, too much negativity around, so think positive and be happy somebody else liked your recipe enough to post it else where. Congratulations indeed :-)
    http://www.sirovahrana.hr/clanak/cokoladna_srca_od_lavande-1169

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would consider it a compliment had they actually given me credit and linked to my page. Instead they plagiarized the content and photos and acted like they were their own. That is NOT a compliment but something very rude and inconsiderate. Giving credit takes one second...

      Delete