Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Mexican Chocolate Kale Chips


I have recently seen lots of recipes for chocolate kale chips, and I admit I was a bit skeptical as to whether or not chocolate and kale would be good together. Something sweet on a green?  It sounded a bit wierd to me, but I am not one to completely pre judge before I try things so I decided that I needed to taste for myself chocolate kale chips.  It partly had something to do with my Mother asking me to make them for her, as she had seen them on a cooking show.  So I gave it a go. 

 
I based the recipe off of my cheezy kale chips, leaving out the savories and adding chocolate, not too difficult.  Also, I decided to make mexican chocolate kale chips, adding a bit of chipotle and cinnamon to the chocolate mixture.  Let me tell you, this chocolate mixture tasted like raw chocolate cheesecake batter before I spread it on the chips...so I knew if it tasted as good once they came out of the dehydrator these would be delicious!  Luckilly, they did!  I woke up the next day to the sweet aroma of chocolate and I couldn't wait to taste them.  I admit they are not the prettiest things, but they were damn tasty!  Intense chocolate with a bit of spice and crunch!  If you closed your eyes, you would not know you were eating kale.  I can not imagine a better way to get your dessert as well as your greens in one, especially if you are a fan of crunchy things like I am.


Mexican Chocolate Kale Chips
Makes about 8 cups

1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked in water for 2-4 hours, drained
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp raw agave nectar or raw honey
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
filtered water

1 large bunch kale, washed and torn into bite sized pieces

In a food processor, combine the sunflower seeds, cacao powder, sea salt, agave nectar, cinnamon, and chipotle powder and process until smooth.  Add filtered water, a few Tbsp at a time until a smooth mixture a little thinner than nut butter consistency is formed.  Place the kale in a large bowl, and pour the chocolate mixture over it.  Use hands to massage mixture into the kale, coating all the pieces entirely. Place the kale on 2 teflex lined dehydrator sheets, and dehydrate for about 8-12 hours (overnight) until dry. Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. I just made salted kale chips in the dehydrator for the first time this week! I've used the oven in the past, but one minute meant the difference between crispy and charred. The dehydrator was so EASY! Can't wait to try this recipe when I eat up my first batch... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you are going to try it out :)!

      Delete
  2. I've heard of kale chips, but never chocolate kale chips! Definitely sounds interesting and I would love to try them! Thanks for sharing :)

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sooo addictive! I am sure you would love them ;)!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I deleted my comment by mistake!!
      I make Chocolate Covered Kale Chips all the time, a nice sweet change from the usual Cheezy styled... I haven't had the Mexican flavours as of yet, however, when I make mine the taste reminds me of chocolate macaroons... I love them!

      Delete
    2. They remind me of that too! So glad you know about them, people think they sound wierd but they are sooo good!

      Delete
    3. Paula - Care to share your recipe? Where I live, kale is hard to find so when I can get it, I buy lots and make my own chips. After sampling New York Naturals chocolate chips, we're crazy for them. I'm going to make these today and take them to a vendor at the farmers market. I'd love to try your recipe next! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Um, you just took my mind and made it explode! Awesome. We both had kale on the mind this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, awesome! Kale is so wonderful :)!

      Delete
  5. Ok I don't have a dehydrator, but I can bake them till crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to try making kale chips. I don't have a dehydrator so can someone tell me how to bake them...temp, time, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heat oven to its lowest temp, and bake for 4 hours, then flip and bake for another 2 or until completely dried.

      Delete
  7. I'm not able to eat sunflower seeds, is there another substitution I could use...perhaps cashews?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can use cashews, but I would reccomend finely shredded dried coconut which is what I use now that I have revised the kale chip recipe (check out my newer ones). I try not to use too many nuts.

    ReplyDelete