Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mini Raw Citrus Ice Cream Cakes



I was quite excited to get my hands on a bag of kumquats last week...my first of the winter.  Although I love to eat them unadorned, I thought that I needed to make something special with them though instead of simply popping them into my mouth.  Then I got to thinking...how would they be in ice cream?  They have so much flavor, so much tartness...and you can eat them peels and all, so no zesting required!  I decided to try it out. 


I added some orange juice along with the kumquat for more flavor, and I was recently sent some duTerra essential oils, including orange oil and I thought it would be lovely in my ice cream as well! It made the ice cream so aromatic and if happiness was a smell, this smelled like it.  


The ice cream base was so delicious, that I decided to make it into ice cream cakes.  Sometimes, I cannot resist the cuteness of  a mini cake, and I thought the citrusy ice cream would be perfect atop a pine nut coconut base.  Plus, a cake is so much more special than scooped ice cream. They were adorable once I garnished them with a bit more citrus, almost too cute to eat, but who am I kidding.  They smelled amazing and I did not wait to dive in.  I was instantly in my happy place with the aroma and flavor of tart sweet citrus that melted in my mouth!  Putting kumquats in ice cream was a wonderful idea!  I hope I get some more soon so I can try them in more desserts!



Mini Raw Citrus Ice Cream Cakes
Makes 2  4 inch cakes

crust:
3/4 cup pine nuts
3/4 cup finely shredded, dried coconut
1/2 cup sprouted, dried buckwheat
4-6 dates
a pinch sea salt

Ice Cream:
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup kumquats
1 cups young coconut meat (or raw cashews, soaked 4 hours and drained if unavailable)
1cups soaked raw cashews, drained (soaked at least 4 hours)
1/4 cup raw agave nectar or raw honey or raw coconut nectar
seeds of one vanilla bean
1 drop doTerra wild orange oil (optional)*
a pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid

2 small oranges, peeled and sliced into rings
6 kumquats, sliced

For the crust, combine all ingredients in the food processor and process until finely ground and starting to hold together when squeezed (add more dates if not sticky enough).  Press into the bottoms of two four inch springform pans, sprayed with non-stick spray and lined with parchment paper.  Set aside.
Add orange juice to a food processor, along with kumquats, cashews, coconut, agave nectar, vanilla, sea salt and oil. Process until smooth, then with the processor running, add the coconut oil slowly and process until well incorporated, about a minute. Pour the strained mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to directions. Remove from ice cream maker, and pour into the prepared crusts.  Set in the freezer for about 4 hours, or overnight. When ready to serve, garnish the tops of the cakes with orange slices and kumquats.  Serve!

*For the orange oil, you have got to check out their site and these oils, they are amazing! http://www.mydoterra.com/essentialsfirst/

4 comments:

  1. Why does your stuff always have to look so freaking amazing?? This just isn't fair! Thanks once again for sharing your amazing talent :)

    Sincerely
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you :)! I am so glad you visit my page :)!

      Delete
  2. I love citrus season! This cake looks delicious, I'm hoping for a warm snap so I can eat more ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :)! Thanks so much Vicki! I hope it warms up here too, it was below 0 yesterday!

      Delete