Sunday, January 13, 2013

Raw Banana Macadamia Coconut Dream Pie

 
When I started to get serious about making desserts back in college, one of my favorite things to make was banana cream pie.  I thought my recipe was the best...deep dish banana bourbon cream pie, piled high with billowy, clouds of whipped cream and topped off with toasted coconut.  It was pretty amazing, and I made it many times, never thinking it could be trumped. 
 

 
That is, until this weekend.  I made the most amazing banana cream pie I have ever tasted, and it by far kicked that other banana cream pie's butt.  It needed no dairy, eggs, and refined sugar, it was veganlicious, and way more amazing! 

 
I had two large bunches of bananas on my counter last week, so a banana something or other was in order.  I made a cake, which will be posted soon, but I also made this Raw Banana Macadamia Coconut Dream Pie.  I call it a dream pie because it was.  When I started to make it, there were three things I was sure of.  It needed a coconut macadamia crust, plenty of sweet, creamy filling, and coconut cream on top.  

 
Once I got to making the filling, however, I decided that it would be even more amazing with a layer of chocolate and vanilla cream frosting.  The best of both worlds to accompany the bananas in the sweet pie! 

 
Once it was set, I topped it off with coconut cream, but then decided that something crunchy on top would be even better so I topped it off with a sort of macadamia and coconut streusel.  This pie ended up being a fufillment of all of my cravings.  Crunchy and a little salty from the crust and topping, creamy, sweet and dreamy in the middle, plus chocolate and fruity bananas...pure heaven!  You simply must make this if you love banana cream pie so you can try it for yourself!


Raw Banana Macadamia Coconut Dream Pie
Makes 1 6 inch tart

Crust:
1 cup macadamia nuts

1 cups shredded, dried coconut
1/2 cup sprouted, dried buckwheat (or additional coconut
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
8 soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped


Filling:
2 cups sliced bananas
1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked for at least 4 hours in filtered water and drained)
1/3 cup coconut water
1 1/2 cups young coconut meat or soaked cashews (drained)
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp raw agave nectar or raw honey
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)
1/3 cup raw coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
2 sliced bananas
3 Tbsp raw cacao powder
Cream topping:
3/4 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/4 cup coconut water
1 cups fresh young coconut meat (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
3 Tbsp raw agave nectar or raw honey

1/4 tsp sea salt
1 teaspoons vanilla and seeds of half a vanilla bean

1/4 cup raw coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts
1/2 cup large flake coconut
large pinch of sea salt
1 Tbsp honey
 
For the crust, combine the nuts, coconut, and buckwheat in a food processor and process until crumbs. Add the sea salt and dates and process until the mixture starts to come together when squeezed. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 6 inch springform pan, sprayed with non-stick coconut oil spray. Place in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
 
For the filling, combine 2 cups bananas, coconut, cashews, coconut water, agave, sea salt, and vanilla in a food processor and process until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the coconut oil and process for a minute. Divide the mixture into 2 bowls, then place one back in the food processor and add cacao powder.  Process until combined. Pour the chocolate filling mixture over the prepared crust, then top with sliced bananas, then the plain filling, then more bananas.  Place in the freezer to set for about an hour. 

Meanwhile, to make the topping, combine the cashews, coconut, coconut water, sea salt, agave nectar, and vanilla anc process until smooth. Add the coconut oil slowly with the motor running (If the mixture starts to separate and clump, the filling is too cold to emulsify the oil, so warm some of it and process again). Place the topping in the freezer for about 30-45 minutes until it firms up to whipped cream  consistency. Once frosting consistency, move to the fridge until ready to use.
Once the filling has set,spread over the tart.
In a food processor, place macadamia nuts, coconut, sea salt, and honey and pulse until chopped.  Sprinkle over tart, and serve! Store extra in the fridge.

62 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice! I love the little addition of cacao in there ;) (beautiful photos, btw)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! I thought the cacao was a good idea ;)!

      Delete
    2. Can I use the feozen coconut meat instead of fresh one ?

      Delete
  3. I just had to throw this one out to my friends on a Facebook page that I subscribe to called "The Veganauts"...a mottley crew of vegans and aiming to be vegans that are all joined by the creed of "keep it real". Most of us are on a green smoothie challenge at the moment and this amazing pie is going to knock their socks off! Hopefully they all come over and check out your amazing list of recipes because I really can't believe that you are not up there with the top raw vegan chefs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! SO glad you shared it with your group :)! Maybe when you are done with the juicing you can try it. I actually just became raw 5 months ago, so I am new to it myself. Maybe someday I will have all the skills to be up there with the top raw chefs ;)! I still have a lot to learn, and I am sharing what I make as I go!

      Delete
  4. That looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe and photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I am happy to share!

      Delete
  5. WOW!!! I can't WAIT to make it this week. This is one of my favorite pies, and I can't wait to try it veganlicious!!!! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, so happy you are going to try it! If you do make it feel free to let me know what you think :)!

      Delete
  6. Hi Amy. This is a fantastic recipe, and great fun to make with the kids. Thanks so much for posting it.

    All the best, Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am happy to share :)!

      Delete
  7. You have such a way with layering complementary flavors. I never was a fan of the original banana cream pie - too heavy - this seems so bright with flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia :)! I bet you would enjoy this one, it is not so heavy ;)!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot wait to make this. The photos are beautiful, mouth-watering for sure. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks so much, I hope you do try it out :)!

      Delete
  10. OMG woman! Looks insanely good. I looove macadamia nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :)!It was insanely good, me too!

      Delete
  11. I made this yesterday and tasted it today - my new favourite cake and the best I've ever made! Thankyou for such an amazing recipe :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! So happy you decided to ty it out :)!

      Delete
  12. Hi Amy! Definitely want to try this one out. Is there anything I can replace the medjool dates with? In the Crust?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome :)! So happy you are thinking of making it. Raisins, or you can use honey or agave nectar.

      Delete
  13. Just want to make sure this all fits in a 6 inch springform? Seems like a lot if ingredients to fit in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might have a little extra filling. If you do not want extra, you can make it in an 8 inch. I just look at the extra as a little tester for the baker ;)!

      Delete
  14. this pie sounds amazing! however, if you add honey to it, it is no longer vegan. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aware of that, I am just giving options so that everyone's dietary needs can be met ;). I list agave nectar, but you are welcome to use coconut nectar or maple syrup in place of the honey.

      Delete
    2. I am a vegan and I eat honey... raw honey from 'organically' raised bees. It is a continuous debate, one that will probably never end. Just realize that some vegans do eat honey, and some vegans do not.

      Delete
    3. Amen! I am one of those that does eat it, and I like to give options so everyone is happy :).

      Delete
  15. Hi Amy, I would like to make it without cacao, do you think it will still be good? Or should I add another ingredient instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can skip it, I would just increase the coconut oil by a couple Tbsp so the filling is not too runny (the cacao powder helps it firm up on the bottom layer).

      Delete
    2. Ok, thank you ;)

      Delete
  16. I thought I bought sprouted and dried buckwheat but it isn't sprouted. Do you have to sprout and dehydrate it before using it in the crust?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do need to at least soak it and dehydrate it otherwise it will be too hard. Sprouting can be bypassed however if you do not want to wait the extra day.

      Delete
  17. I made this and for some reason it didn't set up. I had to freeze it - it was still delicious!! What might I have done wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might have added too much banana to the filling. That makes it a bit runnier. If it seems runny, you can add a little extra cocout oil and it will help it set up better.

      Delete
    2. Ohhhhh....it's possible, the bananas were on the large side. Thanks!

      Delete
  18. if you don't have young coconut and you use the cashews instead, would the measurement be the same? you know 1cup coconut meat and instead 1 cup of cashews. i don't have access to coconut meat.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks amazing.. for someone who is allergic to cashews, do you have a suggestion for alternatives?

    Thank you,
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use sunflower seeds, or almonds.

      Delete
  20. Dear Amy, this pie looks amazing! Well, most of your recipes do. I still haven't tried any as I've discovered you only just yesterday but I will soon. Question: I cannot get young coconuts meat over here and I've tried the old one and didn't really like it at all. Do tell what could I use as a substitute as I am not too fond of loading everything with cashews. Any alternative with irish moss gel perhaps? Thanks a lot, A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not get irish moss gel, so I do not know how much you would use. However you can sub a different seed or nut like snuflower (which I have had sucess with) or almonds.

      Delete
  21. Amy, you can get Irish moss in online shops, even on amazon .. give it a go, it will open a whole new world of recipe ideas. It's a great ingredient to reduce the content of fatty ingredients such as coconut oil - even though that's a healthy fat etc - and makes creams and mousses fluffy light. So good. Plus, it's great for thyroid, it's rich in iodine and sulfur, great source of minerals in generals, helps with (peptic) ulcers, arteriosclerosis, bladder issues, apparently increases the metabolic rate and strengthens connective tissues, hair, skin and nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I cannot afford to order much stuff right now, maybe when I have a larger budget ;).

      Delete
    2. I am working my way to a raw/vegan lifestyle. It will be easier once I finish moving and can concentrate on it. My mother has Hashimotos they are saying coconut oil is bad for her. It is going to be awful to make some of these recipes and her not be able to eat them. I didn't realize Irish Moss was so good for you. Sounds like you could live on it...
      So the bottom line is Amy I can't wait to make this recipe even if I eat it all myself. Thanks Lisa for the tip on the Moss. Since a chronic illness and toxic treatment I have to get this body straightened out and moving to my own place on my mother's property. She is really helping me so much to get my life back together and I guess that means I will have to hide this from her!!

      Delete
    3. Happy to help you out, sorry your mother cannot have coconut oil. You are welcome to try the moss ;). Maybe some of my other recipes without coconut oil you can make for your Mom :)!

      Delete
    4. http://www.rawmazing.com/irish-moss-health-concerns/

      Delete
  22. Holy smokes, I just made this pie (I've been thinking about it for literally at least two weeks now and finally gave in!) and it is firming in the freezer...and it is going to be amazing!! I sampled as I went, and absolutely LOVED each layer. Amy, you are inspiring! Thank you for sharing~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Made this for my daughter's 3 rd bday. It was awesome!! I was a bit worried that I wouldn't have the coconut meat but then I put it out to the universe via FB that I needed meat from a young green coconut and WALA someone showed up to my doorstep with 3 young green coconuts!! I'm looking forward to making this again!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! How lucky that someone gave you coconuts :)!

      Delete
  24. Alright, I finally have to post that I have made this pie three times since you posted it in January. It is definitely a favorite in my family. The flavor combinations and layers of banana, macadamia and coconut are simply wonderful. Thanks for the delicious recipe, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to share and it is wonderful that you have made it 3 times! This is a favorite in my household as well, my Mom and boyfriend both love it.

      Delete
  25. Can I use canned coconut meat? Please reply ASAP if you can, I am going to buy the ingredients tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you can not. You would be better off substituting raw cashews (the same amount as the coconut) soaked for 4 hours and drained instead. Coconut meat in a can is way too runny.

      Delete
  26. Hi Amy, I love bananas and coconut, so excited to make this cake of yours! Did you use roasted macadamias for the crust or raw? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, so happy you are going to make it :)! Raw, because it is a raw recipe.

      Delete