Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Raw Banana Swirl Coffee Cake

 
Do you ever have one of those indecisive days where you just cannot decide what sounds the best to eat?  I do...a lot.  Especially when it comes to desserts.  Like last weekend.  I wanted banana cake, because I still had lots of bananas even after the banana cream pie.  It was a toss up, between chocolate and vanilla banana streusel cake. 

 
Although in the past it would have always been vanilla, as I am a vanilla girl, I admit my boyfriend Eric has me leaning towards chocolate a lot more lately. Influencing the way I choose desserts sometimes, since he loves chocolate. So I was torn between the two. They both sounded amazing.  Then I realized I could do both!  Why not make a swirl cake?  I had never made a raw swirl cake, and banana chocolate swirl would be so heavenly! 

 
I even added a bit of chocolate to the streusel, why not keep the delicious theme going.  Let me tell you...this cake was pretty decadent, sweet, chocolaty, yet vanilla scented, crunchy and nutty from the streusel.  The best of both of the banana cake worlds I was dreaming of. Sometimes it is nice to not have to choose favorites.
 

Raw Banana Swirl Coffee Cake
Serves 4

Cake:
1 cup raw almond meal
1 cup sprouted oat flour (or additional almonds)
1 3/4 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
12 medjool dates, pitted
3 small organic bananas, mashed
3 Tbsp raw cacao powder

Streusel:
3/4 cup dried shredded unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup walnuts, soaked and dried
8 medjool dates, pitted
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped raw chocolate

Caramel:
10 medjool dates, pitted
1 Tbsp raw coconut or macadamia butter
2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 Tbsp filtered water or more as needed


For the cake, combine the almond meal, oat flour, and coconut in the food processor and process until finely ground like flour. Add sea salt, vanilla, and dates and process until well combined and dates have blended into the flour.  Add the bananas and process until smooth.  Remove half the batter from the food processor and set aside, and add 3 Tbsp raw cacao powder.  Process until well combined and blended.  Remove from the food processor. on a dehydrator sheet lined with teflex, alternating plain and chocolate batters, drop by the Tbspful onto the sheet in 2 six inch circles (you can cut 2 6 inch circles out of parchment if you like and drop it on those if it makes it easier).  Swirl the batters in each circle and smooth the tops (they will not be visible so it does not matter if the batter is a little messed up on top, you just want it smooth).  Dehydrate for 20- 24 hours at 115 degrees or until dried but still slightly moist, flipping after 12. 
Meanwhile, to make the streusel, combine the 3/4 cup coconut, 3/4 cup pecans, dates and sea salt in the food processor and process until chopped and sticking together slightly.  Add the remaining walnuts, coconut and chocolate and pulse until roughly chopped.  Remove from the processor and set aside.
To make the caramel, combine the dates, coconut butter, agave nectar, sea salt, coconut oil, vanilla and water and process until smooth (adding more water a very small amount at at time if too thick).  Remove from the processor and press through a fine meshed strainer to remove any date bits (optional, but makes for a smoother caramel). 
To assemble, place one cake on a plate, top with 1/4 inch thick caramel, then sprinkle with half the streusel.  Top with another cake layer, press down slightly and top with more caramel and the rest of the streusel.  Enjoy!  Store leftovers in the fridge.
 

13 comments:

  1. It's 10 till 10 and I just sat down with my first cup of coffee and now I want this coffee cake! Thanks for sharing :)

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could send it to you through the computer ;)! It would be perfect with your coffee :)!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, insane! Im trying to imagine what it tastes like but its just not the same :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heather :)! I wish I could send it through the computer ;)!

      Delete
  3. The only thing I don't like is the agave I will not use that is there something that can be used instead because I want to make this but will never use agave it is not good for you at least not the stuff in the US stores real agave is different would honey or molasses work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I totally agree on the agave. I wrote a blog post about the dangers of agave here: rawveganliving.blogspot.com/2013/01/agave-nectar-vs-coconut-nectar-secret.html?m=0. If you read my post, i talk about the healthier alternative to agave and how it's not really heally isn't healthy. I also mention a better alternative to agave nectar that you can use which is so much healthier and sweetier. You should deff check out my post to find out more.

      Delete
    2. I list both agave and honey as options, so it is open to you to make it with what you like. I actually use honey most of the time, but I list agave because it is a vegan option. Maple syrup may also be used.

      Delete
  4. It was an amazing dessert!! So thankful for her to share it with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eric :)! So happy you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  5. This really looks delicious. I am going to try this for sure!!
    http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! I hope you do try it!

      Delete
  6. I have those days quite often Amy! But I know I'd want anything you'd make me. Especially if it had bananas in it! Thank you for sharing with me. This post, along with my cup of hot chocolate, is making for a very sweet Thursday morning. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Monet :)! If you lived by me I would definately share with you. I agree this would be perfect with hot chocolate. Hope you have a wonderful week!

      Delete