Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Raw Black Bottom Cupcakes

 
When I was about 10 I can remember looking through a church cookbook with my Mom and finding a recipe for black bottom cupcakes.  If you do not know what a black bottom cupcake is, it is a chocolate cupcake with cream cheese filling with chocolate chips.  I wanted to make them so bad, the cream cheese filling was what had caught my eye as I loved anything containing cream cheese.  I begged my Mom to make them and she gave in although it was unusual to make cupcakes in my family. They were so good, I fell in love with the chocolate cake/ cream cheese filling combination, not to mention the gooey chocolate chips as we ate them warm.
 
 
I made them a few more times as a kid, but I admit, I have not had one since I was probably in middle school.  For some reason I decided to make raw filled chocolate cupcakes this weekend and I thought about many options but my mind kept returning to black bottom cupcakes.  Not being one to not listen to cravings, I gave in and decided to rawify them.

 
I made a raw "cream cheese" filling and even chocolate chips (well more like chunks) with my raw chocolate.  I decided to make them a little more fancy and top them off with a bit of chocolate "cream cheese" frosting as well.  I had no doubt that they would be delicious as I devoured the extra cake I had scooped out of the centers and tasted the filling before pouring it in.  Turns out they were even better than those black bottom cupcakes I had as a kid! 

 
Raw Black Bottom Cupcakes
Makes 8
 

Cake:
1 cup raw almond meal
1 cup sprouted oat flour (or additional almonds)
1 3/4 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
12 medjool dates, pitted
3 small organic bananas, mashed
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp raw cacao powder

Cream filling and frosting:
1 1/2 cups raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/2 cup coconut water

1 tsp cider vinegar


2 cups fresh young coconut meat (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
1/4 cup plus 2  Tbsp raw coconut or agave nectar or raw honey

1/2 tsp sea salt
2 teaspoons vanilla and seeds of half a vanilla bean

1/2 cup raw coconut oil (warmed to liquid)

1/2 cup chopped raw chocolate
1/4 cup raw cacao powder

For the cake, combine the almond meal, oat flour, and coconut in the food processor and process until finely ground like flour. Add sea salt, vanilla, and dates and process until well combined and dates have blended into the flour. Add the bananas and process until smooth.   Add raw cacao powder. Process until well combined and blended. Spread out into a square about 2 inches tall on a lined dehydrator sheet. Dehydrate at 115 for about 12 hours, then remove and use a round cookie cutter to cut out 8 circles.  Place back in the dehydrator and continue to dehydrate until dry, but still moist in the center like cake about 2-3 more hours. Remove from dehydrator, let cool, then using a pearing knife, carefully cut out the centers, down about an inch.  (you can eat the centers, my favorite part about being the baker).
For the filling and frosting,  combine the cashews, coconut water, vinegar, sea salt, agave nectar, and vanilla anc process until smooth. Add the coconut oil slowly with the motor running (If the mixture starts to separate and clump, the filling is too cold to emulsify the oil, so warm some of it and process again).  Remove 1/3 of the cream mixture and stir in chopped chocolate.  Spoon this mixture into the centers of the cupcakes.  Place in the freezer to set, about 3o minutes. Place the remaining cream back in the food processor and add 1/4 cup raw cacao powder.  Process until smooth, then place in the freezer until it is frosting consistency, about 20-30 minutes.  Place in a pastry bag, and pipe over the cupcakes, covering the filling.

22 comments:

  1. Looks super yummy! Thank u!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummm Amy! I love that there's bananas in the cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :)! They make it sweeter but you can't taste them ;)!

      Delete
  3. Can I just use water instead of coconut water in the filling/frosting?

    These look very good and I will try to make them this month for sure. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can! Thank you, I hope you do try it out! I am happy to share :)!

      Delete
  4. Love love love your recipes. The colors of the food on your blog. The variety. The delectable combinations. And how every time i visit your blog my will to diet disappears. Thank you so much for sharing though. You inspire me to cook. Muchos besos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words :)! I am happy that you visit my site, I am happy to share my recipes with you!

      Delete
  5. Omg! I too love anything with cream cheese :) I'm allergic to coconut :(can you help with an alternative?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Replace the coconut flour with more oat flour or almond meal, and replace the young coconut with the same amount of soaked cashews.

      Delete
  6. Hi Amy, I started to follow you not long time ago and I noticed your recipes have oil in it and I do not do oil; hence, do you think I could replace the oil part with apple sauce instead? thanks in advance.
    Cheerios,
    V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, unfortunately the oil is essential to the frosting firming up and apple sauce would ruin the texture/make it runny.

      Delete
  7. These look unbelievable! I bet I could eat that cashew filling with a spoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki :)! I did with the extra ;)!

      Delete
  8. These look like the most delicious thing ever! I am so sad right now bc I don't own a dehydrator :'( Are there any dessert recipes that dont require one?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still make these, just use the oven at the lowest temp, and check them more frequently (like after a couple hours, because they cook faster). Otherwise, there are plenty of recipes on my site that do not require one, most of the cheesecakes and pies do not.

      Delete
  9. Hi!
    Every recipe I've tried with bananas had a strong taste of it, and I don't like bananas...
    Is there a chance to use something else instead? something like mashed apples?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you use dates, they are my favorite sweetener now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love dates! They are nature's candy :)!

      Delete
  11. Hi, i was wondering how long these will keep? Would they need to be refrigerated?
    And how many apples would you use to replace the bananas?
    They look great, can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same amount of apples as bananas. They keep for a week in the fridge, but you can freeze them and they will keep longer. Thank you :)!

      Delete