Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Raw Citrus New Year Sunrise Cheesecake


2012 was a fantabulous year for me.  In July, I decided to become vegan. But not just vegan, raw.  I know it is a bit of a jump, but I was willing to take the risk.  If you have been reading my blog for a while you might have noticed the change.  It was just something I was going to try out to see how I felt, and it ended up being one of the best descisions I have ever made.  I have more energy, I am way less tired, my immunity has been boosted, I sleep better, and I am in a better mood all the time.  Plus, I have all of these raw desserts to share with you all (which I am in love with way more than the cooked ones I used to make).  Another wonderful thing that happened was meeting my amazing boyfriend Eric, and I could not be more thankful to have him in my life.  He is a big help with the blog being my number one taste tester, and he is always supportive of the things I am experimenting with even helping with ideas.  Lastly, I have been overwhelmed with the support I have recieved from my blog readers, so happy that so many of you have chosen to check out my recipes! I cannot thank you enough!  

 
I have a feeling 2013 will be even better, and I look forward to it!  So, starting on a positive note, I think of the new year sort of like a sunrise.  The promise of a beautiful new beginning, and the opportunity for many new things to come.  Raw cheesecake has become one of my all time favorite things in the world.  It was the first raw dessert I ever made, and from that day I was in love.  Which is why I thought it appropriate that my New Years dessert be raw cheesecake.  I decided to make a Citrus Sunrise Cheesecake in honor of the New Year, and since citrus is so fabulous right now. 

 
It made me happy to look at it, the beautiful sunrise that it was, but even happier to eat it. The citrus was heavenly with the vanilla cheesecake base, the perfect balance of tart and sweet!  I know I am looking forward to the year and many more delicious dessert creations to come. Í hope you all have a wonderful 2013! 
 

Raw Citrus Sunrise Cheesecake
Makes one 6 inch cheesecake

Crust:
1  cup raw pecans
1 cup sprouted buckwheat, dried in the dehydrator (or additional pistachios)
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
10-12 soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped

 
Filling:
3 cups raw cashews (preferably soaked overnight and drained)
1/4 cup organic  orange juice plus 1 Tbsp zest
2 Tbsp organic lemon juice plus 1 Tbsp zest
2 Tbsp organic grapefruit juice plus 1 Tbsp zest
1/2 cup raw agave nectar or honey
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp raw coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
natural red and yellow food coloring

Cream:
3/4 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/4cup coconut water
1 cup fresh young coconut meat (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
3 tablespoons raw agave nectar or raw honey
2 teaspoons vanilla and seeds of half a vanilla bean (the other half of the one you used for the filling)
1/4 cup raw coconut oil (warmed to liquid)

Citrus zest for garnish

For the crust, lightly coat the bottom and sides of a 6 inch inch spring form removable bottom pan with coconut oil. To prepare the crust, process pecans, buckwheat and sea salt in a food processor until they are fine crumbs, then add the dates and process until the mixture holds together when squeezed between your fingers (if not holding together, add more dates). Firmly press crust into the bottom of the prepared pan, and set aside.
To make the filling, drain the cashews and combine them with citrus juice and zest, agave nectar, sea salt and vanilla in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. With the processor running, add the coconut oil, and process for a minute until blended. Divide the filling into 3 bowls and tint one pink, one yellow and one orange with the food coloring. To assemble, first pour in the yellow filling, then the orange, then the pink. place in the freezer to set for about 4-6 hours.
Meanwhile, to make the cream topping, combine all ingredients but the coconut oil in the food processor and process until smooth. Add the coconut oil with the motor running and process about a minute more. Place in a bowl and put in the freezer to set until frosting consistency, about an hour. Whisk in a little red and yellow food coloring if desired to tint orange, and place the cream in a pastry bag and pipe around the edges of the cheesecake and on the top.  Garnish with citrus zest and serve!  Store leftovers in the fridge. 

15 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! You are such a talented food artist, I am sure I've said it before you should turn this into a business... actually could I hire you to make a cake for my daughter's 2nd b-day in Feb.??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! Maybe someday I will, for now it is just a lot of fun ;)!

      Delete
  2. A most beautiful recipe metaphorically and physically :) I am SO looking forwards to this year of raw amazingness with you and am so glad that I found you last year! Happy New Year, you rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words :)! I am happy you visit my blog, and I hope to have much more deliciousness in 2013!

      Delete
  3. This is such a pretty cheesecake! You have been making some incredible raw treats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cheesecake looks sensational! Absolutely in love with the colour tones too - so pretty! I actually made a citrus cheesecake for Christmas with just lemon and lime but I really like how you have used grapfruit and orange - I am sure the flavour would be beautiful and the coconut too - YUM!!

    Hope you had a lovely new year and we can't wait to read more from fragrant vanilla cake :)

    Chloe & Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chloe and Sarah :)! Great minds think alike as far as the citrus cheesecake goes ;)! Hope you have a fantabulous New Year and thank you for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year, Amy! I am not vegan but I collect and make your recipes as I strive for a healthier me and now count on you for tasty delectables for me vegan friends! The cheesecake sacrifices nothing in flavor - what a long way vegan cooking (especially raw) has come. And you are leading the way. Onward to 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Claudia :)! So happy you make my recipes for your vegan friend! Thanks so much :)!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year, you are a wonderful human being, your blog change my life in o many things, sorry for my english, i'm from Paraguay my english is so poor :( , saludos y segui así, eres una gran persona y tu aporte es gigantezco, saludos!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words :)! So happy you decided to visit!

      Delete
  7. This looks fantastic, my daughter wants it for her birthday on Saturday, but I am a bit confused. Is the coconut water part of the filling or cream? Also, our food processor is only so-so, do you think it will be able to make this, or would you say that I need a better one first? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is part of the cream as in the ingredients listed above. It may or may not be able to make this. You need one that is somewhat high speed. I sometimes need to use a fine meshed strainer to remove any bits that did not grind up so you can do that if it leaves some.

      Delete
  8. Lovelyn PagulayanMarch 6, 2014 at 11:55 PM

    I like that Cake..I must try :)

    ReplyDelete