Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Raw Coconut Lime Macaroons


It was -12F degrees Monday in Minnesota where I live...downright frigid! Let me tell you, if I could have hunkered down and not left my home to go out into that air I would have.  Luckilly I have a treadmill, so I can avoid running in it but I still have to drive to work.  After driving home Monday, my toes took forever to warm up as my car did not seem to want to either.  I miss summer, I miss 70 degree weather.  Which is why I have been enjoying citrus in every form lately.  I feel as if it is a way of ingesting sunshine.  I am envious of anyone who lives where these fruits are in season right now. 


I am also making plenty of desserts with citrus, like these Raw Coconut Lime Macaroons I made last weekend.  One bite of one and I feel like it is summer again and I forget about the cold for that minute of heaven.


I used plenty of lime juice and zest because I like things tart, and it was beautiful with the sweet coconut.  I even tinted them green with spinach (don't worry, you could not taste it they were just a lovely color with it). They were delicious plain, but I decided make them extra yummalicious with a bit of dark chocolate.  Eating one reminded me of warmth of the sun, key lime pie and the days of running through sprinklers.  All things that I would trade for that Minnesota winter in a heartbeat.  If you are craving summer, you should make yourself some too, you will feel a lot better!



Raw Coconut Lime Macaroons
Makes 12

Macaroons:
3/4 cup raw almond meal*
2 Tbsp organic lime zest
2 Tbsp lime juice
a pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup raw agave nectar (or raw coconut nectar or raw honey)
a few spinach leaves
2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut

Chocolate:
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/4 cup raw coconut oil
2 Tbsp raw agave nectar
a pinch of sea salt

Place almond meal, lime zest, lime juice, and sea salt in the food processor and process until well combined. Add the agave nectar and spinach and process until the mixture holds together. Add coconut and pulse until the mixture holds together. Form the mixture into 12 balls, and place on a dehydrator sheet. Dehydrate for about 12 hours, or until they are dried, but not so much so that they are not a little chewy in the middle.
To make chocolate, whisk all ingredients together until smooth in a bowl and let sit until it thickens a little (about 15-20 min). Lay out a sheet of foil on a sheet pan. Dip each macaroon into the chocolate and place on the foil. Once all dipped, put in the freezer to set. Once chocolate has hardened, enjoy!

*I used soaked, skinned and dried almonds to make the meal.

17 comments:

  1. This looks lovely!
    What is the alternative to a dehydrator sheet as I don't have it.
    Many thanks,
    Stana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! You can make them in the oven on the lowest temp with the door propped open (if you do not have a dehydrator), just check them sooner as they get done a lot faster. If you meant you have a dehydrator, they would be fine without a sheet, some coconut pieces may just fall through the trays.

      Delete
  2. My question too..do you even need to dehydrate them??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do actually, or they will be too fragile.

      Delete
  3. I love macaroons! So much in fact, that I'm planning on making a Macaroon table for my wedding coming up in July. These look delicious, thanks for sharing!

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Your guests are lucky ;)! Thank you :)!

      Delete
  4. Amy do you think almond pulp from kmaking milk would work? I always freeze mine and am looking for ways to use it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just dehydrate it until dry first.

      Delete
  5. These look amazing! I recently made some great coconut macaroons, but the addition of lime and dipping them in chocolate is a great idea for some variation. If my food processor hadn't died, I'd want to make them now! Yum.

    I seriously love your blog!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Steph :)! Glad you like the lime idea! I made some with strawberries that I will be posting later this week if you are interested ;). Hope you get a food processor soon!

      Delete
  6. Hello, I love your recepts.Just have one question: what the organic lime zest?? have no idea and translator didn't translate... many thanks. I Love your blog ;)
    Aga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lime zest is the skin of the lime. You just want the colored part though not the white underneath, which can be bitter. Thank you :)!

      Delete
  7. I just made these last night, and they were sooo good! I haven't transcended into raw cooking yet, so I melted down some 70% dark chocolate and dipped them in that.
    Your recipes always sound amazing, but this was the first one that I have tried (I'm kind of a disaster when it comes to baking, so I try to stick with the simpler recipes...).
    Thanks for posting, I will be sure to try out more of your recipes in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome :)! I am glad you decided to try them, it makes me happy to hear you are venturing into raw and giving my recipes a chance. Thanks for letting me know you did I love to hear :)!

      Delete