Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Raw Pasta with Mushrooms, Sundried Tomato Sauce and Walnut Crumble



When I was not raw, a few years I used to make pasta quite often during the winter months.  It was a quick meal, comforting and always delicious.  I admit though, I haven't made pasta in over a year even before I went raw this summer because I found the pasta itself to be too heavy.  But that was solved when I discovered raw pasta.  I loved the idea of using vegetables in place of the heavy, starchy pasta. It was light, and no cooking required!  This past weekend I was craving some...


So I threw together something quick! I made zucchini noodles with mushrooms, in a savory sun dried tomato sauce, with a walnut crumble (since I could not resist, as I love the stuff).  It came together in half an hour, and I was wondering why I haven't made raw pasta more often.  Before you go thinking that you need a spiralizer to make this, that is not the case. I cut my "noodles"by hand and they turned out just fine.  I have a feeling pasta is going to become a staple in my diet again...raw pasta that is.


Raw Pasta with Mushrooms, Sundried Tomato Sauce and Walnut Crumble
Serves 1

Sauce:
6 sundried tomatoes, soaked, and water reserved
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp pine nuts
1 Tbsp olive oil (optional)
sea salt to taste
a pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 small garlic clove
a few fresh basil leaves
 1/2 cup reserved tomato water or as needed

1 medium zucchini, spiralized into thin noodles, or cut thin by hand
6 crimini mushrooms, sliced

Walnut crumble:
1/4 cup walnuts, soaked and dehydrated
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 garlic clove
a pinch sea salt
1Tbsp filtered water or more if needed

To make the sauce, in a food processor, combine tomatoes, yeast, pine nuts, olive oil, sea salt, red pepper flakes, garlic, basil, and 1/2 cup tomato water and puree until smooth, adding a little more water if too thick. 
Place zucchini and mushrooms in a bowl and toss with sauce, set aside while you prepare crumble. 
To make crumble, combine walnuts, yeast, garlic, and sea salt in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.  Add 1 Tbsp water at a time and pulse until the mixture starts to clump together. 
To plate, place pasta on plate, and top with walnut crumble!

6 comments:

  1. Love the addition of the walnut crumble, I would have never thought to add that to a pasta dish! Sounds delicious, I will definitely have to try. Thanks for sharing!

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! It is one of my all time favorite things right now...on anything ;)! Happy to share with you!

      Delete
  2. Looks super yummy. I've got my sundried tomatoes soaking, and I'll be trying this out tonight!! However, I don't have any soaked and dehydrated walnuts, would just fresh walnuts work fine?
    Thanks for sharing,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, glad you are trying it out! Of course they will, the soaking is just to make them more digestable.

      Delete
  3. Tried this tonight- it was great! Large portion, too. I've had zucchini pasta before, but I'm not this creative. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you tried it out and enjoyed it :)!

      Delete