Saturday, January 5, 2013

Raw Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Granola

 
The aroma of sweet peanut butter cookies fresh from the oven was playing tricks with my mind.  I had just eaten lunch and suddenly I was ravenously hungry.  It did not help that I was standing next to a cooling rack full of peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.  It was my last hour of work in the deli and it was a bit of torture.  Well, torture in a good way I guess since the aroma was a happy one.  But when I got home I was craving peanut butter as a result and something had to be done about it.  I did not want something too sweet however.  Even though I do make a lot of desserts, I try to keep them in moderation.  I wanted something a bit snacky.  Granola seemed like the perfect option.  I had raw PB and peanuts, and I thought they would be perfect paired with banana and chocolate! 
 

 
I mixed raw cacao and cacao nibs in, along with banana chips I had made, sweet coconut and my usual sprouted buckwheat granola base, and it was delicious!  Not overly sweet, just the way I like my granola.  Crunchy and munchy, with the aroma of PB and chocolate!  Plus I felt much better eating it than I would have if I had grabbed one of those sugary cookies off the rack.  



Raw Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Granola
Makes about 8 cups


2 cups raw buckwheat
1 1/2 cups dried large coconut flakes
2 cups raw peanuts, soaked for 6 hours and drained
1/4 cup raw agave nectar or honey (or more if you prefer sweeter)
2 Tbsp peanut butter
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup filtered water
1 Tbsp raw coconut oil, liquified
3 cups dried bananas
1 cup cacao nibs

Soak buckwheat for 8 hours, rinse very well (as it has a slimy coating that needs to be removed) and drain. Place in a large jar and set in a well lit area (natural light, but not in direct sunlight). Let sit for a couple days, or until little sprouts begin to emerge from the buckwheat, rinsing 2 times a day. Once sprouted, drain well, and place in a large bowl, along with the coconut, peanuts. In a small bowl, whisk together the agave nectar (or honey), peanut butter, cacao powder, sea salt, vanilla, water, and coconut oil. Pour the mixture over the granola, and mix well with your hands. Spread out on 2 dehydrator sheets lined with teflex, and dry for about 12 hours or until crispy. Pour into a bowl, and mix in bananas and cacao nibs, enjoy! Can be stored in an airtight container for a few weeks at room temperature.

8 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I have granola in the dehydrator right now but once this batch is eaten I'm so going to make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! So glad you are thinking of trying it out :)!

      Delete
  2. Hi there...
    What is the recipe for your banana chips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You simply slice the bananas, then dehydrate them for about 24 hours until dry.

      Delete
  3. Hi Amy
    Just wondering about buckwheat sprouts...?
    In this granola recipe you have "Soak buckwheat for 8 hours... until little sprouts begin to emerge"
    In your Raw Blueberries and Cream Granola "Soak buckwheat for 30 minutes, rinse ...mix ..., dry for about 12 hours..." (no greenery)
    I have heard buckwheat greens can have toxic effects (for some people- skin sensitivity to sun) As buckwheat is in the rhubarb family, I have thought of both having the same problem- toxins their leaves.
    Have you come across the same info?
    What are your thoughts on buckwheat greens or sprouts?
    BTW Love your recipes, have been making heaps of them. Love the colours & flavours. As I can source the ingredients, I try a new one, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, the recipes have different soaking times because I wrote this one when I was new to raw foods and I have since learned that a simple 30 minutes is all buckwheat needs in order to "sprout" or be more digestible. I will have to fix this recipe ;). Rhubarb talks are not toxic, just the leaves and I believe that some parts of a plant can be edible while others are not. Buckwheat is a gluteen free higher nutrient alternative to oats, and the groats provide crunch to my recipes so they do not have to be completely nuts (like in a crust), which I find a little tough to digest at times (as you may notice I use less than I used to in my old recipes). It is a learning processs (raw foods) and I adapt and try to improve recipes as I learn. Happy you are enjoying my recipes :)!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Amy
      Thank you for sharing your living foods journey, I too, am finding out more about living foods ...so much to learn...
      Your recipes not only inspire but sharing them with others helps them see Real food is more appealing than what they image
      The Aussie Healthynut...

      Delete
    3. You are so welcome :)! I am always happy to share with you and others.

      Delete