Sunday, January 6, 2013

Raw Red Velvet Cake with Citrus and Pomegranate


In the winter sometimes, I feel as if there is a lack of color.  Don't get me wrong, snow is quite beautiful after all, in all its glittering beauty.  Maybe the first time it falls at least before we all get sick of the coldness, it could all melt and summer could come right now and I would be overjoyed.  Just because it is chilly and white outside though does not mean it has to be everywhere else.  I dress in color, make sure my home is decorated with color and of course make sure my food is vibrantly colored.  Not with food coloring though, with the beautiful fruits and veggies that God made that way.  Like beets.  One of my favorite veggies which make a fabulous raw red velvet cake!  


I decided that I needed to make one this weekend, because everyone needs a bit of red velvet in their life, especially when going through the winter blahs.  I had pomegranate seeds which I wanted to pair it with, and I was thinking some fudgy chocolate frosting would be amazing in place of the usual vanilla.  I asked my boyfriend Eric what he thought, and he loved the idea, but then suggested some citrus as well.  It was a wonderful idea, and I started to visualize the vibrantly colored cake, piled with citrus and pomegranate...in my mind it was lovely, and I was quite excited!


For the cake batter, I added a beet for vibrant red color and apples and dates for sweetness and moisture.  They did not affect the taste them however, the batter had the aroma of vanilla and sweetness of classic red velvet! I licked the bowl clean.  Once the cakes were dehydrated, I frosted them with a fudgy chocolate frosting, topped them with the fruit, and couldn't wait to dive in!  I certainly did not wait long.  It was beautiful enough to chase away winter white blahs, and delicious enough to put me in my happy place!  


Raw Red Velvet Cake with Citrus and Pomegranate
Makes one six inch 2 layer cake

Cake:
1 cup almond meal*
1 cup sprouted oat or buckwheat flour
1 3/4 cups dried, shredded coconut
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
16 medjool dates, pitted
2 small organic apples, chopped
1 small beet, peeled and chopped

Frosting:
1 cup raw cacao powder
1 cup raw agave nectar or honey
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp orange extract
1 Tbsp coconut oil
a pinch of sea salt
1 Tbsp organic orange zest

1 orange, peeled and sliced
1 tangerine,  peeled and sliced
1 cup pomegranate seeds

For the cake, combine almond meal, oat flour and coconut in a food processor and process until smooth and fine.  Add the sea salt, vanilla and dates, and process until incorporated and dates are chopped.  Add apples and beet, and process until a smooth batter.  Once ready, scoop dough into 2 mounds on a teflex lined dehydrator sheet.  Spread each mound out to about a 7 inch circle (you will be trimming the edges once dry).  Dehydrate for about 20-24 hours (flipping the cakes half way through carefully) or until dried to cake like consistency. If you do not own a dehydrator, you can use the lowest oven temp. with the door propped open to bake the cakes, just be sure to check the cakes after 6 hours or so because it takes a lot less time. Once the cakes have "baked" let cool, then trim to 6 inch circles. 
To make the frosting, combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth.  If too thick, add a little more agave, if too thin add a little more cacao powder.  It should be the spreadable consistancy of fudgy frosting. 
To assemble, place one cake on a plate, and spread with half the frosting.  Top with about 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, and place the other cake on top.  Spread the rest of the frosting over the top, then arrange the orange sliced over it, and sprinkle with more pomegranate seeds.  Garnish the plate with more pomegranate seeds, and enjoy! Store in the fridge.

*If you are using almond pulp, dry it first.

14 comments:

  1. I. am. going. to. make. this.

    Hey, so if I don't have a dehydrator, do you think an oven would work just fine? :) On low heat of course.. and with the door slightly ajar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as I mentioned above. It just takes a lot less time, so check it more often.

      Delete
  2. Oops! Sorry, I skimmed, and didn't see the oven part - next time I will read thoroughly. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I miss color in the winter too (so many of my winter clothes are even grey)! This is a great ode to beautiful colors! (P.S., I made beet juice this am!!! Great minds think alike chica!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tiffany! I wish I had some of that juice right now...love beets :)!

      Delete
  4. This cake is gorgeous Amy! So wintery - I just love pomegranate but I don't buy them often enough. Happy New Year lovely girl. Just looked through all your posts I missed while being away and your desserts are incredible as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heather :)! Happy New Year to you too! Hope 2013 is fantabulous for you!

      Delete
  5. Wow, this looks amazing! Just bought a new dehydrater and I'm going to break it in with the tasty gem! Thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! How exciting, enjoy your new dehydrator!

      Delete
  6. I just made it! The cake batter tastes spool yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! So happy you are trying it out :)! I couldn't stop tasting the batter either ;)!

      Delete
  7. Why do you trim the cake back to 6-inch circles? :) I think that I will be making these for valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it is a 6 inch cake ;). It looks neater if you trim them.

      Delete