Friday, January 25, 2013

Tropical Fruit Spring Rolls with Raw Lime Avocado Banana Ice Cream

 
Since I can not go on a tropical vacation this year (a little out of my budget), I thought I would at least send my stomach on one.  You see, I was at the store, and I had an urge to buy a pineapple. I had not had one since last summer and them smelled so sweet and ripe that I thought it was about time.  When I got it home I was ready to simply slice into that thing and eat it all, but it seemed a shame to waste such a beautiful fruit that way. So I ate half and made the rest into something delicious.

 
I had seen a raw recipe somewhere that used thinly sliced pineapple for spring roll wrappers and I had to try it out for myself.  Although mine weren't quite as thin as I would have liked, they worked out just fine.  I stuffed them with mango, kiwi and orange, and decided that they would be wonderful bathed in a sweet and spicy lime syrup. 

 
Also, I thought that they deserved to be served with a cooling creamy element as well, so my raw avocado lime ice cream did the trick.  It was a deliciously refreshing dessert that made me feel as if I had been transported to somewhere tropical, and it cost me a whole lot less money. 

 
 
Tropical Fruit Spring Rolls with Raw Avocado Lime Ice Cream
Serves 3-4

half an organic pineapple, sliced paper thin from top to bottom (you should have sheets)
1 large mango, cut into matchsticks
3 medium oranges, cut into supremes
4 kiwis, skinned and cut into thin slices

Chili Lime Syrup:
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp orange juice
1 Tbsp raw agave nectar, raw honey, or raw coconut nectar
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Raw Lime Avocado Banana Ice Cream (recipe follows)

To assemble spring rolls, lay out 2 pieces if pineapple, overlapping slightly, and along the right edge, place a line of mango 1/2 inch thick (top to bottom), then about 3-4 slices each orange and kiwi.  Roll up, enclosing the fruit to the left.  Set aside and make 4-6 more depending on how much pineapple you have.  
To make the syrup, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. 
To plate, cut each spring roll in half, carefully and place 3-4 halves on a plate.  Top each with a little chili lime syrup, then scoop a few scoops of the lime avocado ice cream alongside.  

Raw Lime Avocado Banana Ice Cream 
Makes about 4 cups

1 cup lime juice
2 Tbsp lime zest
2 cups young coconut meat (or raw cashews, soaked 4 hours and drained if unavailable)
2 cups avocado, chopped
1 large banana
1/2 cup raw agave nectar or raw honey or raw coconut nectar
seeds of one vanilla bean
a pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid

Add lime juice to a food processor, along with zest, cashews, avocados, banana, agave nectar, vanilla, and sea salt. Process until smooth, then with the processor running, add the coconut oil slowly and process until well incorporated, about a minute. Pour the strained mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to directions. Remove from ice cream maker, and pour into a freezer safe container. Let chill in the freezer for a few hours until a little more firm before scooping.

10 comments:

  1. Such a creative dish! I will definitely have to try, thanks for sharing. I love everything you post!

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I hope you do try it :)! You are too kind!!!

      Delete
  2. One of the best things I ate. It reminded me of Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to making these. Thanks for sharing your wonderful, creative ideas with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting my site, I am so happy to share my recipes :)!

      Delete
  4. Wow so creative and beautiful!! I would love to try this! I love ALL your recipes Amy! They are so beautiful, delicious, and creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! That means a lot to me that you say that, so happy you enjoy them!

      Delete
  5. How gorgeous! Now if I could only slice pineapple that thin...I must try! Thank you for sharing another delicious recipe and beautiful post. I hope you have a lovely Sunday full of relaxation and good food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Monet :)! I hope you have a wonderful Sunday as well!

      Delete