Friday, February 22, 2013

Thai Chili Coconut Noodles



 After I made my Thai Chili Coconut Kale Chips last week, I loved the flavor so much I needed to try it on something else as well. I make a lot of zucchini pasta, and I thought it would be perfect paired with it since it is so mild and is a nice palate for flavors.  I made a silky coconut sauce from young coconut with some heat from the ginger and a habanero I had on hand (I know it is not thai, but I love habaneros and lots of heat).  I added some carrots and bell pepper for sweetness and color and it was lovely!


Lastly, I thought it needed some crunch so I added some additional dried coconut.  It was so tasty!  Sweet and spicy, yet savory, with a kick!  It may be winter now, but it reminded me of summer, and I know I will be making this many times in the future year round!  


Thai Chili Coconut Zucchini Noodles
Serves 2

Sauce:
1/2 cup young coconut meat
2 Tbsp raw coconut butter
1 habanero or thai chili, seeds removed
2 Tbsp raw peanut butter or almond butter
coconut water as needed (or filtered water)
1 small 1/2 inch piece ginger
1 clove garlic
sea salt to taste
juice and zest of a small organic lime

4 small zucchini cut juilenne or spiralized
1 bell pepper, cut julienne
1 medium carrot, cut julienne
1/4 cup finely shredded dried coconut plus more for sprinkling

In a blender, combine the sauce ingredients and process until smooth.  In a large bowl, combine the sauce with the zuchinni and bell pepper, carrot and 1/4 cup coconut and toss to coat.  Place on two plates and sprinkle with additional coconut.  Serve!

12 comments:

  1. Is there a way to purchase young coconut meat already out of the shell ? By the way this looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen it, but I heard they sell it at Trader Joes.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I LOVE this dish, Amy! I've made lasagna using zucchini for the noodles, but you've opened up so many new possibilities!!! Hope you have something fun in store for the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Liz :)! I am looking forward to finding more uses too ;). Hope you have a fantabulous weekend as well!

      Delete
  3. Wow, this looks delicious. I've never thought (or known) to use zucchini to replace the noodles. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was fantastic! Thanks for sharing the recipe. It was supper tonight and I can't wait to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! So happy you tried them out and enjoyed them!

      Delete
    2. Hi Ami, you have a wonderful blog! You should make a profession out of this!
      I was wondering whether there was an alternative to coconut meat in case one doesn't have it at hand. Thanks, Nina

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much :)! You can just use about 1/4 cup coconut butter, and add a little more liquid to the sauce to thin it out.

      Delete