Thursday, March 14, 2013

Raw Minty Brownie Bites




Since St. Patty's day is coming up, I have been in the mood for something minty.  Maybe it is all those Shamrock Shake commercials (just kidding, I don't eat McDonalds).  In any case, I made some fantabulous mint browines last weekend. 


 I admit I did not quite know what I was making when I started on them, as I was thinking mini minty green cakes with pale green mint frosting would be lovely, but they sort of evolved. I made the base for the cakes, a vanilla mint batter, but then tasted it and it was amazing.  I decided instead that I wanted some chocolate with it, like brownies so I omitted the extra ingredients that would have made cake and made half the batter chocolate but left half vanilla mint.  It was lovely, the two layers.  As I placed them in the dehydrator, I knew I wanted them to have some sort of frosting, but I was not sure what yet. 

They smelled amazing as they "baked" in the dehydrator.  I decided that they needed more than just frosting. They would have a fudgy chocolate frosting alright, but I wanted to include a mint cream layer beneath it for extra deliciousness.  I knew they would be wonderful, as I had been sampling all of the components while I made them, but once I cut them and tasted them as a finished product I was amazed.  They were rich, they were minty and they were fudgy, simply heavenly!  I would much rather enjoy these than green beer on St. Patty's  Day!


Raw Minty Brownie Bites
Makes 9-12

2 1/2 cups raw almond meal*
2 1/2 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup sprouted buckwheat flour or additional coconut
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp peppermint extract
1/2 cup raw coconut nectar
a few large handfuls organic spinach

1/4 cup raw cacao powder

mint cream:
1/2  cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
2 Tbsp coconut water

1/2 cups fresh young coconut meat (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
2  Tbsp raw coconut nectar, raw agave nectar or raw honey

1/8 tsp sea salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1 small handful spinach
2 Tbsp raw coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
Fudge glaze:
1/3 cup raw cacao powder
1/3 cup raw coconut nectar or raw agave nectar\
1 Tbsp raw coconut oil, warmed to liquid
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
a pinch sea salt
For the cake, combine the almond meal, coconut, buckwheat flour, and sea salt in the food processor and process until finely ground like flour. vanilla, coconut nectar, peppermint extract and spinach and process until smooth  and evenly blended. Remove half the batter from the food processor and set aside.  To the remaining half in the processor, add the 1/4 cup cacao powder and process until blended.  Place the chocolate dough on a lined dehydrator sheet, and use a rolling pin and your hands to create an even square about 3/4 inch thick. Roll the green dough out in the same fashion and place on top of the chocolate, pressing down so they stick together into one large piece. Dehydrate** at 115 for about 8 hours, until dried but still moist in the center. 
For the mint cream, combine all ingredients except the coconut oil in the food processor and process until smooth.  With the motor running, add the coconut oil and process a minute longer. Spread the mixture over the brownies, and place in the freezer to set for about an hour. 

For the fudge glaze, whisk together all ingredients in a bowl until smooth (adding more coconut oil if too thick, and more cacao if too thin) and a  spreadable fudgy frosting consistency.  Spread over the mint cream layer on the brownies, and place in the freezer for about 5 minutes. Cut into small 2x2 inch squares. 

*I use soaked, dried almonds which have been ground in the food processor to flour, but you can also use almond pulp that has been dehydrated.

**If you do not wish to dehydrate and do not mind the brownies a little softer at room temperature, you can just refridgerate them for a few hours to firm up instead of the dehydrating.

9 comments:

  1. look at these beauties! they scream st patrick's day! they also look so chocolatey, creamy, and minty, and those are a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how many things you have transformed from classic to raw recipes. It's mind boggling! You just keep nailin' it on the head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shannon :)!I try ;)! It is the way I get to enjoy the things that I used to love.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, those are BEAUTIFUL! Lovely, lovely, lovely (trust me Amy - if someone calls your brownies "lovely," you've really done quite a good job! Ha-ha)!

    Ooooh AMY! I FINALLY made little mini raw chocolate cheesecakes! I didn't follow your exact recipe, but I kind of looked at all of your cheesecake recipes and started with the basic ingredient proportions (cashews, filtered water, sweetener [I used coconut sugar instead of agave because my parents and on a cleanse that only allows coconut sugar], coconut oil, and salt [well, actually I forgot to add salt . . . he-he) and then I added cocoa. I made a crust out of almonds and dates. They're heavenly! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your recipes. :D

    P.S. Normally my dad isn't always into my healthy desserts, but he LOVED these. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, "these" meaning the mini raw cheesecakes . . . now I need to learn how to sprout/dehydrate, and I'll make these brownies. :)

      Delete
    2. I love that you called them lovely :)! Thank you! I am so glad you were inspired to create your own version of the cheesecakes! Have you tried coconut nectar? It subs easily for the agave in the recipes. I am happy your Dad enjoyed the cheesecakes too, I have one of those as well, and I always feel accomplished if he enjoys one of my healthy desserts ;). Sprouting is easy, you just soak the buckwheat for 2 hours, then rinse it well and dry it. But if you don't want to mess with that, just sub coconut for the buckwheat and they turn out just as delicious. Plus, you can make these without dehydrating (see my note at the bottom).

      Delete
  4. Oh my!!! I just found your website Amy and this is like.......heaven here!! wow! Beautiful! Can't wait to try some of your recipes! Thank you for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)! I am happy you are going to try some of the recipes, you are so welcome!

      Delete