Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Raw Autumn Sunset Dream Cake

 
There is a chill in the air, and hat and scarf weather have arrived.  But, this does not stop me from venturing outdoors.  I am not one to hibernate, and in fact I need to get out everyday, whether it be for a run or a walk and sometimes both to clear my head and have me time to think.  Although it is sad in a way that the days are growing shorter, but it allows for me to see some beautiful sunsets in the afternoon.  I love it when the sky lights up in bright pinks, oranges and purples. 
 
 
If it has been a hard day, suddenly that all melts away as I witness the beauty that God has created and painted on the sky. Many times I draw inspiration from my desserts from what I see in nature, and last weekend, I made a raw dream cake which reminded me of a beautiful sunset. 
 

Creamy ginger sweet potato and cranberry fillings with a cranberry jam swirl atop a crunchy cinnamon laced crust.  It was wonderful and as I sat there enjoying it at the kitchen table that night, I could not help but think it would be even more amazing were I enjoying it watching the sunset. 


Raw Autumn Sunset Dream Cake
Makes one 6 inch cake

Crust:
1/2 cup raw sprouted buckwheat groats, dried in the dehydrator
3/4 cup dried finely shredded coconut
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped
 
Filling:
3 cups young coconut meat*
2 cups raw sweet potato, chopped
1/2 cup coconut water
1/2 cup raw coconut nectar or your choice of raw liquid sweetener
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean
2 tsp maple extract
1 inch piece fresh ginger
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp raw coconut butter (warmed to liquid) 
 
1 cup fresh cranberries

Cranberry swirl:
1 cup fresh cranberries
2 Tbsp orange juice
4 medjool dates, soaked in filtered water until soft
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
 
Decoration Frosting:
1 cup young coconut meat
2 Tbsp coconut water
1 1/2 Tbsp raw coconut nectar or agave nectar
1/8  tsp sea salt

1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 Tbsp raw coconut butter, warmed to liquid


Lightly coat a 6 inch spring form removable bottom pans with coconut oil. To prepare the crust, process buckwheat, coconut and sea salt in a food processor until it is fine crumbs, then add the dates and process until the mixture holds together when squeezed between your fingers (if not holding together, add more dates). Firmly press crust into the bottom of the prepared pan, and set aside. 
To make the filling, in a high speed blender or food processor combine coconut, coconut water, sweet potato, coconut nectar, sea salt vanilla, maple and ginger and blend until smooth and creamy. With the processor running, add the coconut oil, and process for a minute until blended. Remove the filling from the food processor (if your food processor is not strong enough to make the filling smooth you may need to strain it through a fine meshed strainer) and divide into 2 bowls. Place one back into the food processor and add the cranberries.  Blend until smooth then remove from the processor and set aside.
To make the swirl, combine all ingredients in a high speed food processor or blender and puree until smooth. 
To assemble cheesecake, drop the half of the 2 colors of filling by the Tbsp over the crust. Drop some of the swirl over that by the tsp.  Drop the remaining filling over that, then the swirl.  Tap the bottom on the counter to level, then swirl with a knife.
Place the cheesecake in the freezer to firm up for about 4 hours until set before unmolding. 
Meanwhile, to make the frosting, combine all ingredients but the coconut butter in a food processor and process until smooth.  With the motor running, add the coconut butter and process a minute more.  Pour the cream into a bowl and let sit in the freezer for about half an hour to 45 minutes or so until the consistency of whipped cream then place in the fridge until ready to use. Once the cake is set, place the frosting in a pastry bag and pipe decoratively around the top of the cake. Store cake in the fridge.

*If you do not have access to young coconut meat, you can substitute 4 cups raw cashews soaked for 4 hours and drained for the coconut and filtered water for the coconut water.

 See my tutorial on making cheesecakes here: http://fragrantvanillacake.blogspot.com/2013/07/making-perfect-raw-cheesecake.html

4 comments:

  1. Amy, I'm sorry I haven't commented much lately! I've been popping on your blog from time to time, showing my mama your amazing desserts and recipes (which, by the way, she says are absolutely BEAUTIFUL).

    This dreamcake is absolutely gorgeous - the colors go together so perfectly, and if a sunset were captured in a cake, this is it!! I'm also a Christian, and I think that it's awesome that God's creation is what inspires you. YOU, my dear, are inspirational. One day, I will attempt to make a dreamcake. In the meantime, I will admire yours. :) Also . . . your cake pops . . . HOW ARE YOU SO BRILLIANT???

    Anyways, keep it up, you ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to be sorry, I know what it is like to be busy ;). Happy you are still enjoying the recipes, and that you understand where my inspriration comes from :)! You are too kind, and flatter me too much. But thank you for the day brightening comments, they are always much appreciated. Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  2. This cake looks absolutely delicious!! And aren't the colours devine!? the cake certainly lives up to its name with the beautiful colour tones.
    Have a lovely day!
    Chloe & Sarah
    http://www.honeyandlulu.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)! You have a lovely day as well!

      Delete