Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Raw Cranberry Pomegranate Cacao Crusted Tart



 
I love pretty colored food.  Especially vibrant reds around the Holidays. No, I am not talking about red velvet cake with all of that fake food coloring...I am talking about the naturally beautiful.  The pomegranates, beets, and cranberries that provide us with both eye and mouth candy.  Which is why I decided that a pomegranate and cranberry tart would be an amazing thing to make.  I am craving a lot of fruit lately, so I decided to make the filling strictly fruit in all of its delicious glory. 

 
The filling was juicy and flavorful, with a hint of orange and vanilla along with the red fruits and a bit of apple for volume.  I added some chia seeds to thicken it up naturally as well as add healthy oils and protein, and it was all contained in a crunchy chocolate cacao nib crust.  I was definitely getting my antioxidants enjoying this tart, which is pretty awesome because you can't beat healthy and delicious desserts!
 
 
It was almost too pretty to eat, the pomegranate arils like jewels sitting atop the Christmas red tart, but who am I kidding, I was happy to ruin it by diving in for a piece or two.  I served it up with some raw chocolate ice cream I had on hand and it was pure deliciousness! Nice and light but sooo good!
 

Raw Cranberry Pomegranate Cacao Crusted Tart
Makes one 8 inch tart

Crust:
1 1/4 cup finely shredded dried coconut
1/2 cups buckwheat groats, sprouted and dehydrated (or additional coconut)
1/3 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup soft medjool dates, pitted (if not soft, soak them until they are and drain them)
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/4 cup raw cacao nibs

Filling:
1 cup dried cranberries, soaked until soft in filtered water and drained
3 cups fresh cranberries
1 sweet apple, chopped
3 Tbsp raw coconut nectar or maple syrup or raw local honey
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
juice and zest of one medium orange
1/2 cup chia seeds
1 cup chopped cranberries
2 cups pomegranate arils

For the crust, add all ingredients except cacao nibs in a food processor and process until fine crumbs and starting to hold together when squeezed (if it does not hold together, add more dates). Add the cacao nibs and pulse to combine.  Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch removable bottom tart pan, oiled with coconut oil and set aside in the fridge while you make the filling.
To make the filling, combine the dried cranberries, 3 cups fresh cranberries, apple, coconut nectar, vanilla, orange juice, and chia seeds in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.  Pour into a bowl, and stir in most of the chopped cranberries and pomegranate arils reserving some for sprinkling over the top of the tart.  Pour the fruit mixture over the tart crust and smooth out, then sprinkle the reserved fruit over it.  Place in the fridge for a few hours to set up, then serve!


4 comments:

  1. Amy, this looks and sounds incredible! You should enter into a raw foods competition (I think there's one for desserts from Living Light). I actually have lots of frozen cranberries and pomegranate arils.

    But---I have to ask---how tart is it? I like dried cranberries, but don't know if I have had fresh without a lot of sweetener---and 3 T for 4 cups doesn't seem like that much. I guess I could make it and keep adding more until it's no longer a tart tart! But of course that would decrease the healthiness of the dessert...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! It is just the right amount of tart. But I suppose it depends on your tastes. The apple in the filling makes it a bit sweeter than you would think, but you can always adjust the filling to your tastes...that is what tasting is for (my favorite part of the making process ;)).

      Delete
  2. Made it! Wonderful. Just the right amount of tart, as you said. And I felt so healthy having it---no guilt, what with superfruits like pomegranates and cranberry. Don't know if you know who Dr. Greger is (has a nutrition website---definitely vegan)---
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cranberries-versus-cancer/

    He notes how healthy these fruits are. But he never has recipes for actually using them----that's where you come in! Thanks so much for all you do. Your recipes and blog have added so much to my life!

    Have a great 2014. Hope you continue to be so inspired and generous with your talent...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed it :)! I haven't heard of him but I will have to check it out. I am glad I help you out as well, and I have to say I always enjoy your comments and feedback. It makes my day! Happy NY to you too :)!

      Delete