Monday, May 5, 2014

Raw Spicy Carrot Risotto


After recently making a beet risotto with cauliflower rice, I was craving it again.  It is after all, delicious raw comfort food! Maybe my craving comfort food has to do with the rain we had last week for about 7 days here.  So, it seemed like the perfect thing to make again. But this time I made a different risotto, me not being one to make the same thing twice often.  Spicy carrot was what it ended up being.  I like to use the veggies I have on hand rather than buying things simply to make something and what I had was cauliflower, carrots, bell peppers, and tomatoes.  I made a spicy carrot sauce with southwest flavors and plenty of kick from the jalapeno and chipotle I added, made silky with a bit of walnut butter and hemp seeds for protein and healthy omega 3 oils (which I try to include in my meals).


It was a big bowl of sunshine and goodness, just what I needed to forget about the rain and chill outdoors.  Never mind the fact that it has been acting like the beginning of winter (dropping snow flurries last week) when it should be spring here, I am in my own little world enjoying my delicious raw risotto and imagining summer warmth.


Raw Spicy Carrot Risotto
Serves 1-2

1 cup carrots, chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
1 ripe avocado
1 garlic clove
1 jalapeno chili, seeded
1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
3 Tbsp raw shelled hemp seeds
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp himalayan or sea salt or to taste

4 cups cauliflower, chopped
1 bunch scallions, sliced
1 yellow or red bell pepper, cut julienne
1 small tomato, diced

In a high speed blender, combine the carrot, lime juice, avocado, garlic, chili, chipotle, cumin, coriander, chili powder, nutritional yeast, hemp seeds, cilantro,  sea salt, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
In a food processor place the cauliflower and pulse until it is chopped like small rice grains (but not too long or it will be mush). Add to a bowl, along with the scallions, bell pepper, and tomatoes and pour over the carrot mixture.  Mix together well and serve at room temperature or warmed a little in the dehydrator.  

6 comments:

  1. This looks so nice and creamy - yum!
    ~ maisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I enjoy it more than regular risotto :)!

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, this is gonna be my lunch today, thank you for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Hope you enjoyed it :)! You are so welcome, I am always happy to share!

      Delete
  3. Yum!! made this tonight and LOVED it. Made a double batch for my friends and i and we ate it all. Thank you!

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you and your friends enjoyed it :)! Thank you for letting me know! You are so welcome, I am always happy to share :)!

      Delete